hide message

Welcome to the Resource Centre

We make it our mission to work with advocates in civil society, business and government to address inequalities of power, seek remedy for abuse, and ensure protection of people and planet.

Both companies and impacted communities thank us for the resources and support we provide.

This is only possible because of your support. Please make a donation today.

Thank you,
Phil Bloomer, Executive Director

Donate now hide message

Ghana: Two employees of Shaanxi Mining killed in an underground mining accident

Author: Vincent Amenuveve, Graphice Online (Ghana) , Published on: 26 November 2019

‘Mine caves in, killing 2’ 20 November 2019

The miners, Jonathan Tengbil and Solomon Tohsongba, were said to be watering a working area described as “3346 Stope” to control dust and gases when they were crushed to death. A statement dated November 19, 2019 and signed by the company's Public Relations Officer, Mr Maxwell Wooma, said: “In the course of watering the area, heavy, large boulders that unknowingly hung above fell on them. They were subsequently trapped in the muck.” It said other members of their crew reported the incident and immediately the company’s emergency procedures were activated. The statement indicated that safety personnel and rescue teams then went to the scene and carried out rescue work.

According to the release, an investigation had been launched within the mine. “In line with the requirements of LI 2182, the Inspectorate Division of the Minerals Commission has been informed and a detailed investigation is expected to be conducted soon. We are cooperating with the relevant authorities to ensure that due process is followed,” the statement said. The company assured its staff and the public that it would review its procedures and put in place any recommendations from the authorities to prevent such incidents from recurring at the company.

…It described the incident as unfortunate and a very sad one for the company and “we deeply regret the accident". On January 23, 2019, 16 miners died following an explosion within the concession of Shaanxi Mining Limited. Following that accident, the company was shut down and a committee set up by the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources and the Minerals Commission to unravel the circumstances leading to the disaster. The company was fined $40,000 after it was found culpable for the accident. The fine was imposed after investigations by the Inspectorate Division of the Minerals Commission found the company liable for various infractions that resulted in the accident.

Read the full post here