Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in South Africa
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Author: Tracy McVeigh, Guardian (UK)
The fate of thousands of sick and dying South African gold miners could be decided in a British court if talks to set up an industry fund to compensate them continue to stall…[Representatives] of South Africa's National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) were...
- Related stories: AngloGold Ashanti silicosis lawsuit (So. Africa) So. African mining union demands Anglo American provide healthcare & compensation for silicosis sufferers; includes company statement Videos highlight plight of So. African miners with silicosis allegedly caused by excessive dust exposure in Anglo American gold mines Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Gold Fields
Author: Natasha Odendaal, Mining Weekly
…South Africa’s National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) planned to attend…Anglo American’s annual general meeting…to demand “justice” for former gold miners suffering from silicosis…NUM president…accused the mining giant’s board of “procrastinating for...
- Related stories: AngloGold Ashanti silicosis lawsuit (So. Africa) Gold miner silicosis litigation (re So. Africa) So. African mining union demands Anglo American provide healthcare & compensation for silicosis sufferers; includes company statement Show moreShow less
- Related companies: Anglo American Gold Fields Harmony Gold
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
Welcome to the 11th issue of the Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletin. To assist all those following corporate legal accountability issues, we send this bulletin to highlight key developments, new cases profiled on our site, updates to...
- Related stories: Aerial spraying ban lawsuit (re banana companies in Philippines) Amesys lawsuit (re Libya) AngloGold Ashanti silicosis lawsuit (So. Africa) Apartheid reparations lawsuits (re So. Africa) Argor-Heraeus investigation (re Dem. Rep. of Congo) Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletin – Issue 11, December 2013 HudBay Minerals lawsuits (re Guatemala) Kaweri Coffee (part of Neumann Gruppe) lawsuit (re forced eviction in Uganda) KBR lawsuit (re human trafficking in Iraq) Koh Kong sugar plantation lawsuits (re Cambodia) Nestlé lawsuit (re Colombia) Talisman lawsuit (re Sudan) Texaco/Chevron lawsuits (re Ecuador) US Deepwater Horizon explosion & oil spill lawsuits Veolia & Alstom lawsuit (re Jerusalem rail project) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Corporate Legal Accountability Quarterly Bulletins Latest Legal News
- Related companies: African Rainbow Minerals Alstom Amesys (part of Bull) Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Argor-Heraeus BP Bull CACI Chevron Ford Gold Fields Harmony Gold HudBay Minerals IBM Kaweri (part of Neumann Gruppe) KBR L-3 Communications L-3 Titan (part of L-3 Communications) Neumann Gruppe Talisman Tate & Lyle Texaco (part of Chevron) Titan (now L-3 Titan) Veolia Environnement (formerly Vivendi) Veolia Transport (part of Veolia Environnement)
Author: Matthew Mpoke Bigg, Reuters
Ghana plans to present a mining windfall tax bill to parliament, Finance Minister Seth Terkper [has] said... [G]old...accounted for 27 percent of the country's foreign exchange in 2012 and contributed more than $700 million to state coffers...A...
- Related stories: Ghana to table mining windfall tax bill to parliament
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti Gold Fields
“Police in the Pay of Mining Companies The responsibility of Switzerland and Peru for human rights violations in mining dispute”
Author: Society for Threatened Peoples (STP), Grufides, Derechos Humanos sin Fronteras and Coordinadora Nacional de Derechos Humanos
…For this report, Society for Threatened Peoples (STP) and the three Peruvian non-governmental organisations Grufides, Derechos Humanos sin Fronteras and Coordinadora Nacional de Derechos Humanos have examined in detail agreements concluded with the...
- Related stories: Peru: Following killing of protester against mining project, govt. & civil society examine contracts between mining firms & police; includes company statements
- Related companies: Antamina (joint venture BHP Billiton, Glencore, Teck, Mitsubishi Corporation) BHP Billiton Buenaventura Glencore Gold Fields Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Mitsubishi Group Newmont Teck Resources Xstrata (part of Glencore)