Google (part of Alphabet)
Headquarters in USA
The reorganization of Google into Alphabet was completed on 2 October 2015.
New report looks at reporting progress under the UK Modern Slavery Act; finds need for better enforcement
Author: Ergon Associates
"Modern slavery reporting: Is there evidence of progress?", October 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour
- Related companies: Aldi Alphabet Apple ASOS Associated British Foods Balfour Beatty British American Tobacco Co-operative Group Google (part of Alphabet) Intel InterContinental Hotels John Lewis Partnership Marks & Spencer Marshalls Morrisons Nestlé Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Rio Tinto Sainsbury's Standard Chartered Ted Baker Tesco TSB Walgreen Whistles
Access Now urges action by 22 internet, mobile & telco cos., based on 2018 Corporate Accountability Index
Author: Access Now
In September 2018, Access Now wrote to the heads of 22 internet, mobile and telecommunications companies, outlining specific steps they can take to improve their disclosures about the policy and practices they use to safeguard digital rights. The le...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: América Movil Apple AT&T Axiata Baidu Bharti Airtel Etisalat Facebook Google (part of Alphabet) Kakao Corp Mail.ru Microsoft MTN Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) Ooredoo Orange Samsung Telefónica Tencent Twitter Vodafone Yandex
Major news organisations and business leaders withdraw from Saudi investment conference over missing journalist
On October 2, 2018, prominent Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi went missing after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. Khashoggi, a once royal advisor turned critic, was allegedly murdered by Saudi officials in the consultate. Khashoggi's case...
A group of tech companies including Google, Facebook and Mozilla have agreed to abide by new standards set out by the European Commission in the battle against the dissemination of fake news across the EU. It is the first time worldwide that industry...
USA: Google won’t bid on $10 billion Pentagon cloud computing deal citing potential conflicts with AI principles
Author: Naomi Nix, Bloomberg
"Google Drops Out of Pentagon's $10 Billion Cloud Competition," 8 October 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights: Artificial Intelligence
- Related companies: Alphabet Amazon.com Google (part of Alphabet) Microsoft
Author: Tim Bradshaw, Financial Times
"Google confirms 'Project Dragonfly' for China," 26 September 2018...
Author: Andy, Fredzone
« La volonté de Google de percer le marché chinois fait polémique », 16 septembre 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Dernières infos sur les défenseurs des droits de l'homme Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Google (part of Alphabet)
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited Google to respond to a letter from human rights organizations calling on Google to refrain from launching a censored search engine in China, saying it would violate freedom of expression and right to...
- Related stories: China: Human rights groups call on Google not to launch a censored search engine saying it would violate rights to expression & privacy; co. didn't respond
- This is a non response from the following companies: Alphabet Google (part of Alphabet)
New guidance for companies encourages action to support civic freedoms & human rights defenders & explores opportunities for engagement
Author: Bennett Freeman with Sif Thorgeirsson, Adele Barzelay & Brooks Reed
"Shared space under pressure: Business support for civic freedoms and human rights defenders," 29 August 2018 ...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Positive company initiatives Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: "S Group" adidas ADM (see Archer Daniels Midland) Alphabet Anglo American Apple Archer Daniels Midland Asia Pulp & Paper (part of Sinar Mas) Associated British Foods Barrick Gold Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) Bunge Cargill Cartier (part of Richemont) Chevron Chobani Cisco Systems Coca-Cola DLA Piper Eileen Fisher ExxonMobil Facebook FIFA General Electric Golden Agri-Resources Google (part of Alphabet) Grupo Hame IOI Group Johnson & Johnson Lyft McKinsey Microsoft Natural Fruit Nestlé Newmont Nike Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) PepsiCo Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Reforestación de Palma del Petén (Repsa) (part of Grupo Hame) Richemont Salesforce.com Shell Siemens Sinar Mas Group Starbucks Stonyfield Farm Telenor Tiffany Uber Unilever Vedanta Resources Verizon Volaris Websense Wilmar International