Headquarters in Japan
Top car manufacturers launch initiative to address environmental, human & labour rights issues in the supply chain
The Raw Materials Observatory is the product of a five-year partnership [...] between 10 leading car manufacturers which aims to improve sustainability in the automotive supply chain. The new commitment, signed by Daimler AG, Honda, JLR, Scania, VW,...
Author: Annabel Short, Deputy Director, Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
Original publication date: 24 Mar 2017 The industrial belt of Manesar, near New Delhi in India, is a hub for the country’s growing automobile industry. The sector provides economic opportunity for many workers, who migrate from other states. Howeve...
Author: Peter Waldman, BloombergBusinessweek (USA)
[Article originally published 23 March 2017, with 13-minute audio report (scroll down to end of full article).]...
Author: Anumeha Yadav, Scroll
...[H]undreds of workers of automobile manufacturing factories in Manesar...staged a demonstration. It was a show of solidarity with 13 former workers of Maruti Suzuki India Limited who were handed life sentences...for the death of a manager during...
- Related stories: India: 13 workers sentenced to life imprisonment for violence at Maruti's plant in Manesar
- Related companies: Honda Maruti Suzuki (part of Suzuki) Suzuki
USA: Corporate Equality Index scores record number of companies full marks for having inclusive policies for LGBT workers
Automobile firms' quest for low-cost parts led to using deadly Takata air bags over safer components - New York Times report
Author: Hiroko Tabuchi, New York Times (USA)
"A Cheaper Airbag, and Takata’s Road to a Deadly Crisis", 26 Aug. 2016...
Author: Eli Friedman (Cornell Univ.), Aaron Halegua (New York Univ.) & Jerome A. Cohen (US-Asia Law Institute), in Washington Post (USA)
"Cruel irony: China’s Communists are stamping out labor activism", 3 Jan 2016...
- Related stories: China: About 50 labour activists detained by authorities, 7 criminally detained among which 5 were charged & sentenced
- Related companies: Honda
Author: Elsa Wenzel, GreenBiz
Among hundreds of corporations backing COP21 climate actions, few are trekking to Paris, instead backing blockbuster commitments or coalitions to represent them…Here are some of the bulkiest groups…Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is teaming up with...
- Related in-depth areas: Mitigation
- Related companies: ABB Abengoa Alcoa Alibaba.com Alphabet Alstom Amazon.com Anglo American Apple AT&T Bank of America Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) BG Group (part of Shell) BHP Billiton BP BT Calpine Clif Bar Coca-Cola Commerzbank Dow Chemical Eni Equinor (formerly Statoil) Facebook General Mills General Motors Glencore Goldman Sachs Google (part of Alphabet) H&M Hershey Honda HP (Hewlett-Packard) IKEA Intel JPMorgan Chase Kellogg KPN LafargeHolcim Levi Strauss Mars McDonald's Microsoft Monsanto (part of Bayer) Morgan Stanley National Grid Nestlé Pemex PepsiCo PG&E Reed Elsevier Group Reliance Industries Repsol Rio Tinto Royal Philips Electronics Salesforce.com Saudi Aramco Schneider Electric Shell Siemens Starbucks Stonyfield Farm Suez Swiss Re Total Unilever UPS Virgin Group Wells Fargo Xerox
Corporate Information Transparency Index (CITI) ranks 100 brands on environmental supply chain performance in China
On October 22, 2015, the Corporate Information Transparency Index (CITI) released its ranking of 167 brands on their environmental supply chain performance in China. The image shows the top 10 companies in the 2015 ranking - for the full ranking see...