Latest news: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms
The main elements of a safe and enabling environment for civil society organizations (CSOs) and human rights defenders (HRDs) are the respect for basic freedoms, strong compliance with the rule of law, removal of all obstacles for registration and operation, end to all forms of impunity, and free access to remedy and redress mechanisms. All these are the same elements that are conducive for healthy environments in which to conduct business and investments. The fates of CSOs, HRDs, and companies are closely intertwined.
Human rights, labour rights and environmental defenders, journalists, lawyers, and anti-corruption campaigners are key agents of change, and they contribute greatly to safeguarding human rights and the rule of law. As such, both companies and defenders have a shared interest in the full respect of freedoms of expression, association and assembly, characterised by non-discrimination, transparent and accountable government, and freedom from corruption.
However, the operating context for CSOs and HRDs has become, and continues to become increasingly restrictive and dangerous in many countries. These countries include those in which companies operate and invest. More and more companies understand that they can have a powerful voice in the protection of civic freedoms, especially where abuses are taking place linked to their industry and/or operations. Below are some of these recent examples of emerging good practices and drivers of such actions.
Related stories and components
USA: Internet companies cut off service to 8chan after hateful content was posted by perpetrator of mass shooting in advance of attack
The online message board 8chan was cut off on Monday, after two companies terminated vital technical services following a mass shooting in El Paso, Texas that killed 22 people. In advance of the attack, it is believed that the perpetrator posted a...
Daimler CEO criticizes right-wing activities of works council faction and says company stands for tolerance & respect
"For Tolerance and Respect – Against Racism and Discrimination", 31. Juli 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Latest news: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Positive company initiatives
- Related companies: Daimler
Author: Radio Francia Internacional (Francia)
“Contra el trabajo infantil, Perú crea un sello para certificar a pequeños productores” – 15 de julio de 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Pasos positivos
Video: How do businesses affect Human Rights Defenders & how could they support them and civic freedoms?
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre interviewed Human Rights Defenders from Singapore, Turkey, Kenya, Uganda and Zimbabwe - visiting defenders at The Centre for Applied Human Rights at the University of York. They shared their views on how...
Author: Tim Fitzsimons, NBC News
"Over 200 major companies sign Supreme Court brief in favor of LGBTQ workers," 2 July 2019...
- Related stories: USA: Supreme Court hears oral argument for granting protection against discrimination at work to LGBTQ community
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Latest news: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms
- Related companies: Airbnb Alphabet Amazon.com American Airlines Apple Bank of America Bayer Best Buy Comcast Domino's Pizza Facebook General Motors Google (part of Alphabet) Hilton IBM JPMorgan Chase Macy's Marriott Morgan Stanley Nike
Author: Stuff (NZ)
"German rescue ship captain held in Italy defended at home", 1 July 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders Latest news: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms
- Related companies: Siemens
Author: Süddeusche Zeitung
"'Sea-Watch 3' - Steinmeier kritisiert Italien", 30. Juni 2019...
- Related stories: Politiker und Siemens-Manager kritisieren Festnahme von Sea-Watch-Kapitänin
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Neuigkeiten zu Menschenrechtsaktivisten
- Related companies: Siemens
USA: Wayfair workers to walk out to protest management decision to supply detention centre; CEO rejects their plea
Author: Peter Cohan, Forbes
"3 Reasons To Sell Wayfair On Today's Employee Walkout", 26 Jun 2019...
- Related stories: USA: Govt. contractors accused of profiting from separation & detention of migrant & asylum seeking families
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms
- Related companies: Wayfair