Headquarters in United Kingdom
Imperial Tobacco website: http://www.imperial-tobacco.com
UK: Tobacco firms protest at Labour party's plan to tax them more to pay for National Health Service
Author: Angela Monaghan, Guardian (UK)
"UK tobacco firms protest at Labour plan to tax them more to pay for NHS", 23 Sep 2014 Britain’s tobacco industry reacted with fury to the plan by the Labour leader, Ed Miliband, to tax British cigarette companies to pay for NHS spending, branding th...
Author: Human Rights Watch
[Includes correspondence with Altria, British American Tobacco, China National Tobacco, Imperial Tobacco, Japan Tobacco, Lorillard Tobacco (part of Carolina Group), Philip Morris International, Reynolds American & Universal Corporation]
- Related stories: USA: Children working on tobacco farms suffer from nicotine poisoning, Human Rights Watch report - includes video
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on Children
- Related companies: Alliance One Altria British American Tobacco Imperial Tobacco Lorillard Tobacco (part of Carolina Group) Philip Morris International Reynolds American Universal Corporation
Vigeo identified four sectors (Mining, Food, Tobacco and Specialised Retail) that are more exposed to child labour issues than others due their high labour intensity, complex supply chains and their frequent presence weak governance zones. Vigeo’s...
- Related stories: Analysis of challenges & best practices in tackling child labour in food, mining, retail, tobacco sectors Nestlé, Cargill, Archer Daniels Midland lawsuit (re Côte d'Ivoire)
- Related in-depth areas: Case examples Latest news on Children
- Related companies: Alliance One Archer Daniels Midland British American Tobacco Cargill Glencore Hershey Imperial Tobacco Nestlé Nike Universal Corporation
Author: Rupert Neate & Simon Bowers, Guardian (UK)
Angela Ahrendts…took home a total pay package of £16.9m, putting her top of the executive pay league…the chief executive of fashion label Burberry [part of GUS], took home…almost £5m more than the next highest paid chief executive, according to a...
This guide is aimed at investors seeking to examine corporate tax policy and practices. Tax is increasingly under the spotlight, intensifying financial, regulatory and reputational risks in this area for companies. Where tax practices are aggressive,...
- Related stories: ActionAid launches new guide for investors on how to seek a responsible approach to corporate tax
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on tax avoidance
- Related companies: Aggreko Barclays Burberry Cairn Energy Centrica Diageo Enron Experian G4S Glencore Goldman Sachs Imperial Tobacco John Lewis Partnership KPMG Legal & General Investment Management Marks & Spencer Morrisons PricewaterhouseCoopers Rio Tinto Rolls-Royce plc SABMiller (part of Anheuser-Busch InBev) Schroders Smiths Group Starbucks Tyco Vodafone
Author: Corinne Gretler & Simon Clark, Bloomberg
The FTSE 100 Index’s most exclusive club just got smaller. The departures of Anglo American...Chief Executive Officer Cynthia Carroll and Pearson...CEO Marjorie Scardino leave Burberry Group...’s Angela Ahrendts and Alison Cooper of Imperial Tobacco...
Author: David Ingram & Anna Yukhananov, Reuters
A U.S. appeals court…struck down a law that requires tobacco companies to use graphic health warnings, such as of a man exhaling smoke through a hole in his throat. The 2-1 decision by the court…contradicts another appeals court's ruling in a similar...
Australia's highest court has upheld a new government law on mandatory packaging for cigarettes that removes brand colours and logos from packaging. The law requires cigarettes to be sold in olive green packets, with graphic images warning of the...
Author: Sue Reisinger, Law.com
…Roger Ackman, Imperial Tobacco's general counsel from 1972 to 1999…was dragged into a suit against the tobacco industry…[B]ecause the GC…took part in decisions in the early 1990s to destroy company research reports on the risks of smoking, the...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: British American Tobacco Imperial Tobacco Philip Morris International Rothmans, Benson & Hedges (part of Philip Morris International)
Author: Ben Lewis, Asian Lawyer
Philip Morris...has sued the Australian government over a law that will oblige it and other tobacco companies to remove their logos and other branding from packaging. The legislation states that tobacco products must be sold in drab brown packets and...