Intl. Tourism Partnership announces 1st industry-wide global commitment to sustainability; incl. improving human rights
Author: International Tourism Partnership (ITP), Published on: 25 September 2017
"The International Tourism Partnership Celebrates 25th Anniversary with Announcement of First Ever Industry-Wide Global Commitment to Sustainability," 26 September 2017
- Leading global hotel groups reach consensus for a sustainable industry
- Four agreed Goals focus on: carbon, water, youth employment, human rights
- Aligned by a focus on the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and marks the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development
- Commitment sends call to action across the industry
The International Tourism Partnership (ITP) today announces the four Goals supported by ITP member companies as the major industry reference point to drive progress towards sustainability.
The ITP Goals are a carefully constructed and practically achievable response to four of the core sustainability issues impacting responsible hospitality providers globally. At a glance, they include:
- YOUTH EMPLOYMENT: Collectively impact one million young people through employability programmes by 2030, thereby doubling the industry’s current impact on youth unemployment.
- CARBON: Embrace science-based targets, and encourage the wider industry to join in reducing emissions at scale.
- WATER: Embed water stewardship programmes to reduce the number of people affected by water scarcity; also improve water-use efficiency and identify ways to address water scarcity.
- HUMAN RIGHTS: Raise awareness of human rights risks, embed human rights into corporate governance, and address risks arising in the labour supply chain and during hotel construction...
[ITP 13 members are: Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, Diamond Resorts International, Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, Hilton, Hyatt, InterContinental Hotels Group, Marriott International, NH Hotel Group, Soneva, The Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels Ltd, Taj Hotels, Resorts and Palaces, Whitbread and Wyndham Hotels and Resorts]
Related companies: Carlson Rezidor Diamond Resorts International Four Seasons Hotels Hilton Hongkong and Shanghai Hotels Hyatt InterContinental Hotels Marriott NH Hoteles Soneva Taj Hotels, Resorts and Palaces Whitbread Wyndham