Laos: Five miners killed in explosion at Chinese coal mine

Get RSS feed of these results

All components of this story

Article
18 May 2020

Laos: Five miners killed in explosion at Chinese coal mine

Author: Radio Free Asia

“Five Miners Killed in Blast at Chinese Coal Mine in Laos”, 14 May 2020

Five miners were killed and another left seriously injured in an explosion May 10 at a Chinese coal mine in the Ta Oy district of Saravane province in southern Laos, sources told RFA…

Two of those killed in the blast were Lao, with the other three and the injured worker all Chinese, a district official told RFA’s Lao Service…

“They said the miners had brought the explosives to the target area for blasting, but they don’t know what happened after that. There may have been a malfunction of some kind. The rocks exploded, trapping the men and causing their deaths,” he said…

… Ta Oy district governor Boun Neuang Luang Kham Tai told a Lao radio station in an interview… adding that the bodies of the dead Chinese miners were taken to managers at the coal mine for handling.

“We couldn’t discuss more than this because of the language barrier between us and the injured man and company officials,” he said…

… Lao authorities are conducting an investigation into the cause of the accident so that compensation can be claimed from the Chinese company, he said.

A district villager who witnessed the incident told RFA that he wants the coal mine now to put stronger measures in place to protect the safety and lives of its workers and to provide fair compensation to the families who lost their loved ones…

The Chinese company involved in the blast had been operating in Ta Oy since 2012, though how long they have held a concession from the Lao government to work there is still unclear, one district official told RFA…

“The company has hired many workers to excavate coal and transport rocks by truck, and most of the tasks assigned to these men are very dangerous,” he added…

Read the full post here

Article
+ 简体中文 - Hide

Author: 亚洲自由电台

[此翻译由企业责任资源中心提供]

“五名矿工在老挝的中资煤矿爆炸中丧生”,2020514

消息人士告诉自由亚洲电台(FRA),老挝南部沙拉弯省(Saravane)达沃区(Ta Oy)一座中资煤矿在510日发生爆炸,造成五名矿工死亡,另有一人重伤……

一名地区官员告诉自由亚洲电台老挝语新闻部,在爆炸中身亡的有两名老挝人和三名中国人,另一名中国工人受伤……

“他们说,矿工们把炸药带到指定地区进行爆破,他们不知道后来发生的事情。可能出现了某种故障。被爆破的岩石把工人困住,并最终导致了他们的死亡,”他说……

……达沃区的区长Boun Neuang Luang Kham Tai在接受老挝一家电台采访时说……遇难的中国矿工的尸体被送到煤矿管理人员那里,等待善后处理。

“由于我们和伤者以及公司官员之间存在语言障碍,我们无法再多谈了,”他说……

……老挝当局正在对事故原因进行调查,以便向中国公司索赔,他说。 

一位目睹了该事故的当地村民告诉自由亚洲电台,他希望矿上能采取更有力的措施来保护矿工的生命安全,并为痛失亲人的家庭提供公平的补偿……

一名地区官员告诉自由亚洲电台,卷入爆炸事故的中国公司自2012年起就在达沃区运营,他们从老挝政府获得的采矿特许权有多长时间并不为人所知……

他还说:“公司雇佣了很多工人从事煤炭的挖掘和运输工作,分配给他们的大部分任务都非常危险。”

Read the full post here

Article
+ 繁體中文 - Hide

Author: 亞洲自由電台

[此翻譯由企業責任資源中心提供]

“五名礦工在老撾的中資煤礦爆炸中喪生”, 2020514

消息人士告訴自由亞洲電台( FRA ),老撾南部沙拉彎省( Saravane )達沃區( Ta Oy )一座中資煤礦在510日發生爆炸,造成五名礦工死亡,另有一人重傷……

一名地區官員告訴自由亞洲電台老撾語新聞部,在爆炸中身亡的有兩名老撾人和三名中國人,另一名中國工人受傷……

“他們說,礦工們把炸藥帶到指定地區進行爆破,他們不知道後來發生的事情。可能出現了某種故障。被爆破的岩石把工人困住,並最終導致了他們的死亡,”他說……

……達沃區的區長Boun Neuang Luang Kham Tai在接受老撾一家電台採訪時說……遇難的中國礦工的屍體被送到煤礦管理人員那裡,等待善後處理。

“由於我們和傷者以及公司官員之間存在語言障礙,我們無法再多談了,”他說……

……老撾當局正在對事故原因進行調查,以便向中國公司索賠,他說。

一位目睹了該事故的當地村民告訴自由亞洲電台,他希望礦上能採取更有力的措施來保護礦工的生命安全,並為痛失親人的家庭提供公平的補償……

一名地區官員告訴自由亞洲電台,捲入爆炸事故的中國公司自2012年起就在達沃區運營,他們從老撾政府獲得的採礦特許權有多長時間並不為人所知……

他還說:“公司僱傭了很多工人從事煤炭的挖掘和運輸工作,分配給他們的大部分任務都非常危險。”

Read the full post here