Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in France
Author: Huw Nesbitt, Guardian (UK)
After media reports of alleged links between cosmetic makeup and illnesses including cancer, discerning consumers have switched to mineral cosmetics in an attempt to find a more natural beauty alternative. Many of these mineral products contain mica,...
- Related stories: India: Prominent child labour, unsafe working conditions found in Jharkhand's mica mines India: Reports of child labour in mica mines raise concerns about cosmetic industry' "ethical extraction"
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on Children
- Related companies: Estée Lauder L'Oreal Merck
Author: Ben Doherty & Sarah Whyte, The Age (Australia)
In the hills of Jharkhand in India, child labourers mine the mica that brings sparkle to the world…industry here is…dependent on a huge unskilled workforce, forced into working for lower and lower prices…work is hard and dangerous. Children working...
...Since 2009 when L’Oréal was first alerted that there was a possibility of child labor in the collection of mica in India, the Group has worked closely with its suppliers to secure its supply chain of mica against any such risk.
- Related stories: India: Prominent child labour, unsafe working conditions found in Jharkhand's mica mines
- This is a response from the following companies: L'Oreal
Author: Mary Mazzoni, TriplePundit
Climate Counts and the Center for Sustainable Organizations just released what they call the “world’s first” science-based company rankings,...[assessing] the emissions performance of 100 companies from 2005 to 2012 within the context of climate...
- Related stories: Study finds over half of global companies surveyed are emitting "unsustainable" levels of carbon
- Related companies: Abbott Laboratories Amazon.com Anheuser-Busch (part of Anheuser-Busch InBev) Anheuser-Busch InBev AstraZeneca Avon Bank of America BASF Baxter International Bayer BMW BP Bristol-Myers Squibb BT Canon Cemex Chevron Cisco Systems Citigroup Clorox Coca-Cola Colgate-Palmolive ConAgra Danone Dell Deutsche Bank Deutsche Telekom Diageo Dow Chemical Electrolux Eli Lilly EMC Emerson Electric Ericsson ExxonMobil Ford Fuji Photo Film Gap General Electric General Mills General Motors H&M Halliburton Hasbro Heineken Herman Miller Hess Corporation Hitachi HP (Hewlett-Packard) HSBC Hyundai Group IBM Intel International Paper Johnson & Johnson Kellogg's Kimberly-Clark Kraft Foods L'Oreal Lexmark Limited Brands Marks & Spencer Marriott Merck Microsoft Molson Coors Nestlé News Corporation Nippon Steel Nokia Novartis Office Depot Panasonic PepsiCo Pfizer Praxair Procter & Gamble Reckitt Benckiser Royal Bank of Scotland SABMiller Samsung Sharp Sherwin-Williams Siemens Sony State Street Target Tesco Toshiba Toyota Unilever United Technologies UPS Verizon Volkswagen Volvo Group Walmart Wells Fargo Weyerhaeuser Whirlpool
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
The purpose of this e-bulletin is to help keep everyone working in the field of business & children's rights informed about recent key developments and forthcoming initiatives. [Includes contributions in English, French & Spanish from: UN...
- Related stories: PA Child Care lawsuits (re "kids for cash" scandal)
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on Children
- Related companies: Abbott Laboratories adidas Aviva BHP Billiton Body Shop (part of L'Oréal) Boliden Chevron Daewoo International (part of Posco) GM Uzbekistan (joint venture General Motors & UzAvtosanoat) Google HSBC Indorama Kuoni L'Oreal Microsoft Posco Shurtanneftegaz Telefónica Toys R Us Trustbank (Uzbekistan)
Author: Céline Oziel, Novethic (France) (copyright: www.novethic.fr)
Les pratiques des acheteurs d'huile de palme s'améliorent, du moins dans les engagements affichés. C'est le bilan que tirent le WWF et Greenpeace dans deux études publiées récemment. Mais les deux ONG appellent les entreprises à accélérer la mise en...
Author: Social Accountability International
SAI Training Manager Stephanie Wilson and Training Assistant Emily Crain spoke with lead trainer Edwin Koster to discuss his perspective on the trainings and implementation of the UNGP in general...[At] seminars on the UNGP [stakeholders had a] number...
Promoting and protecting the rights of children working and/or living on the street: An inclusive roundtable discussion in South East Asia [Singapore, 10-11 Dec]
Author: Aviva, Consortium for Street Children, Office of the UN High Commissioner on Human Rights
OHCHR [through a unique cross-sectoral partnership with Consortium for Street Children (CSC), Aviva and UNICEF] prepared a study on challenges, lessons learnt and best practices in a holistic, child rights and gender-based approach to protect and...
Author: Rebecca Moudio, Spy Ghana
The demand for shea butter has risen so much in recent years that African producers have started calling for fair prices for their labour…[A] global producer of edible oils, told The New York Times that “shea [butter] is an important source of revenue...