Headquarters in USA
Author: Oxfam America
Human rights impact assessments (HRIAs) are intended to minimize human rights risks, lessen adverse impacts, and strengthen positive outcomes of business investments on affected populations. For an HRIA to fulfill this purpose, it must consider the...
- Related stories: Oxfam paper suggests fusing community & company-led human rights impact assessments
- Related companies: Aguas Argentinas (now Agua y Saneamientos Argentinos - AySA) Corriente Resources Goldcorp Kuoni Marshalls Meridian Gold Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Nestlé Philip Morris International Total TVI (Toronto Ventures Incorporated) Pacific Vale
This report aims at exploring contemporary mining conflicts in the context of the sustainable development and environmental justice...[T]he project and type of conflict are characterized in a nutshell, with some basic factual background that describe...
- Related stories: EJOLT report explores mining conflicts in context of sustainable development & environmental justice
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti Antofagasta Areva Barrick Gold Buenaventura China Railway Construction Codelco Copper Mesa Mining Corriente Resources Dundee Precious Metals DuPont Eco Oro Minerals (formerly Greystar Resources) Ecuacorriente (part of Corriente Resources) Entre Mares (part of Goldcorp) Enusa Glamis Gold (part of Goldcorp) Goldcorp Greystar Resources Grupo México Inmet Mining Marubeni Meridian Gold Minera San Xavier (part of New Gold) Mitsubishi Group Mitsubishi Materials (part of Mitsubishi Group) Mitsui Montana Exploradora (part of Goldcorp) New Gold Newmont Nippon Mining Pacific Rim Mining Paladin Energy Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold) Rio Tinto Rössing Uranium Southern Copper (part of Grupo México) Tongling Nonferrous Metals Yamana Gold
Author: Cinema Política [Canada]
In the town of Esquel in southwestern Argentina, opinions are strongly polarized on the matter of the exploitation of the mine five miles down the road. The mine is a source of silver and gold that the Canadian company Meridian Gold extracts using the...
- Related stories: [video] Argentina: "They Come For the Gold, They Come For It All" - film documents community polarised by effects of Meridian gold mine
- Related in-depth areas: Feature-length documentaries, films & trailers
- Related companies: Meridian Gold
Author: Danilo Valladers, IPS
Ecologists in Guatemala see a recent ruling by Canada's Supreme Court…as a positive precedent that could help improve environmental controls over the mining industry…The Supreme Court ruled that the federal government could not split projects into...
[PDF] A systematic approach to project social risk & opportunity management: A briefing note for project managers of large infrastructure and extractive industry projects
Author: Engineers Against Poverty
Social risks are...often not adequately incorporated into project risk management processes because they are not as well understood by project teams as technical and financial issues...This briefing note presents the key elements of a systematic...
[PDF] Winning the Social License to Operate : Resource Extraction with Free, Prior, and Informed Community Consent
Author: Sustainability Perspectives, by Ethical Funds [Canada]
In recent years, resource extraction companies have seen development projects evaporate as communities have found the capacity and the will to oppose and shut down operations... To secure project access and ensure that invested assets eventually see a...
Author: Jonathan Sohn, Steven Herz, and Antonio La Vina, World Resources Institute [USA]
While much has been written on the legal, normative, and development arguments for ensuring that host communities have the opportunity to provide their free, prior, and informed consent (FPIC) to a project, relatively little attention has been paid to...