Member of UN Global Compact
Author: Tom Bergin, Reuters
BP and its partners involved in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill have unleashed a $100 billion-plus barrage of legal claims a year after the rig blast killed 11 workers and created an environmental disaster. On the anniversary of the disaster, BP filed...
- Related stories: BP files lawsuits against Transocean, Halliburton and Cameron Intl. while Anadarko and Mitsui file suit against BP -- related to liability for Deepwater Horizon explosion and oil spill US Deepwater Horizon explosion & oil spill lawsuits
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Anadarko BP Cameron International Halliburton Mitsui Transocean
Author: Compiled by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
The Macondo well is a joint venture of BP (65% ownership), Anadarko (25%) and Moex Offshore (part of Mitsui Oil Exploration, which is majority-owned by Mitsui & Co.) (10%). BP is the joint venture operator. The Deepwater Horizon rig was owned by...
Author: Jeremy Pelofsky, James Vicini, Reuters
The Obama administration...launched a legal battle against BP Plc and its partners by suing them for the worst offshore oil spill in U.S. history, which could cost the companies billions of dollars..."While today's civil action marks a critical step...
Summary Note: Consultation with Business Stakeholders on the Implementation of the UN "Protect, Respect and Remedy" Framework
Author: Prepared for the mandate of UN Special Representative on business & human rights John Ruggie
Professor John Ruggie…held a consultation with business stakeholders in Paris on the implemention of the UN “Protect, Respect and Remedy” Framework…The purpose of the consultation was to provide an opportunity for…industry,…employer organizations,...
- Related in-depth areas: Summaries of John Ruggie consultations - Oct 2010 UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on business & human rights
- Related companies: ABB ABN Amro Ahold Alcatel-Lucent Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Arcelor Mittal Areva BAE Systems Barclays BASF BG Group BHP Billiton BNP Paribas BP Burson-Marsteller Cadbury (part of Mondelēz International) Capgemini Carrefour Casino Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore Xstrata) Chevron Coca-Cola Crédit Agricole Daimler Deutsche Post DHL (part of Deutsche Post) EADS (European Aeronautic Defence and Space) EDF EMC Eni Esquel ExxonMobil France Telecom (now Orange) Gazprom GDF Suez General Electric Hitachi HP (Hewlett-Packard) ING Kraft Foods L'Oreal La Caixa Lafarge LCF Rothschild Marks & Spencer Michelin Mitsubishi Group Mitsui Nippon Steel Nokia Orange PricewaterhouseCoopers Procter & Gamble Rabobank Randstad Renault Rhodia Sakhalin Energy (joint venture Shell, Gazprom, Mitsui, & Mitsubishi) Shell Société Générale Sodexo Solvay Statoil Suez Symantec Telecom Italia Thales Total Toyota Unilever Veolia Environnement (formerly Vivendi) Walt Disney Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata) Yahoo!
[PDF] press release: "Business & Human Rights Resource Centre launches online hub: 'Human rights impacts of oil pollution: U.S. Gulf Coast, Ecuador, Nigeria'"
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
The new portal impartially presents reports, articles and videos from all sides. What are the victims, advocates, companies and commentators saying? Are the abuses continuing? Are past abuses being addressed? Are steps being taken to prevent further...
- Related stories: press release: "Business & Human Rights Resource Centre launches online hub: 'Human rights impacts of oil pollution: U.S. Gulf Coast, Ecuador, Nigeria'" Shell lawsuit (re oil pollution in Nigeria)
- Related companies: Anadarko BP Cameron International Chevron Eni ExxonMobil Halliburton Mitsui MOEX (part of Mitsui) NALCO (National Aluminium Company) Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Petroecuador Shell Texaco (part of Chevron) Total Transocean
Author: PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Carbon Disclosure Project
In 2010, the CDP asked the world’s 500 largest public companies in the FTSE Global Equity Index Series...to demonstrate that they are taking action on climate change. This report, prepared by CDP’s global adviser, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC),...
- Related stories: Report says carbon management becoming a "strategic business priority" - says Siemens, Deutsche Post, BASF, Bayer, Samsung top 5 firms for carbon disclosure
- Related companies: 3M A.P. Moller - Maersk ABB Abbott Laboratories Abertis Accenture ACE Group Adobe Systems AFLAC Ahold Air Liquide Air Products Akzo Nobel Allergan Allianz Allstate Alstom Amazon.com AmBev (part of Anheuser-Busch InBev) América Movil American Electric Power American Express Amgen Anadarko Anglo American Anglo Platinum (part of Anglo American) AngloGold Ashanti Anheuser-Busch InBev Apache Apple Applied Materials Arcelor Mittal Archer Daniels Midland AstraZeneca AT&T Atlantia Aviva AXA BAE Systems Banco Bradesco Banco do Brasil Bank of China Bank of Montreal Bank of Nova Scotia Barclays Barrick Gold Baxter International Bayer BB&T BBVA BD (Becton, Dickinson) Beiersdorf Berkshire Hathaway Best Buy BG Group Bharti Airtel BHP Billiton BMW BNP Paribas BOC Group (part of Linde) Boeing Bouygues BP Bristol-Myers Squibb British American Tobacco British Sky Broadcasting BT Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway (BNSF) BYD Cadbury (part of Mondelēz International) Caisse d'Epargne Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC) Canadian Natural Resources Canon Capital One Carnival Carrefour Caterpillar Cathay Pacific Central Japan Railway Centrica CEZ Charles Schwab Chesapeake Energy Cheung Kong Chevron China Construction Bank China Life Insurance China Mobile China Shenhua Energy (part of Shenhua Group) China Telecom China Unicom Chubb Group Chubu Electric Power Chunghwa Telecom Cisco Systems Citigroup CLP Holdings CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) CNP Assurances Coca-Cola Colgate-Palmolive Comcast Commonwealth Bank ConocoPhillips Corning Costco Crédit Agricole Credit Suisse CRH (Cement Roadstone Holdings) CSX CVS Daimler Danaher Danone Danske Bank DBS Bank Dell Denso Deutsche Bank Deutsche Boerse Deutsche Post Deutsche Telekom Devon Energy Diageo DirecTV Dominion Resources Dow Chemical Duke Energy E.ON East Japan Railway eBay Ecopetrol EDF Eli Lilly EMC Emerson Electric Enbridge EnCana Endesa (part of Enel) Enel Eni Entergy EOG Resources Ericsson Erste Bank der Oesterreichischen Sparkassen Exelon Express Scripts ExxonMobil FedEx Fiat Ford Fortum France Telecom (now Orange) Franklin Templeton Freeport-McMoRan Fresenius Medical Care Gap Gazprom GDF Suez (now Engie) General Dynamics General Electric General Mills Gilead Sciences GlaxoSmithKline Goldcorp Goldman Sachs Google Groupe Banque Populaire Grupo ACS H&M Halliburton Hang Seng Bank Heineken Henderson Land Hess Corporation Home Depot Hon Hai Honda Honeywell HP (Hewlett-Packard) HSBC Husky Energy Hutchison Whampoa Hyundai Corporation (part of Hyundai Group) Hyundai Group Iberdrola IBM ICICI ICL Plastics Illinois Tool Works Imperial Oil Imperial Tobacco Indian Oil Corporation Inditex Infosys ING INPEX Intel Intesa Sanpaolo Itaú-BBA ITC Jardine Matheson JFE Johnson & Johnson JPMorgan Chase Kansai Electric Power (KEPCO) KB Home KBC KDDI Kellogg Kimberly-Clark Kohl's Komatsu Korea Electric Power (KEPCO) Kraft Foods (now Kraft Heinz) Kroger Kyocera L'Oreal Larsen & Toubro Linde Lloyds TSB Lockheed Martin Loews Lowe's Lukoil LVMH Manulife Financial Marathon Oil Maroc Telecom MasterCard McDonald's McKesson Medtronic Merck Metlife Metro Group Microsoft Millea Mitsubishi Electric (part of Mitsubishi Group) Mitsubishi Group Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Mitsui Mizuho Bank (part of Mizuho Financial Group) Monsanto Morgan Stanley Motorola MTN MTR Munich Re Naspers Group National Australia Bank National Grid National Oilwell Varco Natixis (joint venture Caisse d'Epargne & Groupe Banque Populaire) Newcrest Newmont News Corporation Nike Nintendo Nippon Mining Nippon Mining & Metals (part of Nippon Mining) Nissan Nokia Nomura Nordea Bank Norfolk Southern Northrop Grumman Novartis Novo Group Novo Nordisk (part of Novo Group) NTT Docomo Occidental Petroleum ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) Oracle Panasonic PepsiCo Pernod Ricard Petrobras PetroChina (part of China National Petroleum Corporation) Pfizer PG&E Philip Morris International PNC Financial Services Posco PotashCorp PPR (formerly Pinault-Printemps-Redoute) Praxair Procter & Gamble Prudential Financial Prudential plc PTT Public Service Enterprise Group QBE Insurance Raytheon Reckitt Benckiser Reliance Industries Repsol YPF Research In Motion (now BlackBerry) Richemont Rio Tinto Roche Rosneft Royal Bank of Canada Royal Bank of Scotland Royal Philips Electronics RWE SABMiller Saint-Gobain Samsung Sanofi Santander SAP Sasol Schlumberger Schneider Electric Scottish and Southern Energy Seven & i Shell Shin Shin-Etsu Group Shinhan Bank Siemens Sime Darby Simon Property Singapore Telecommunications Société Générale Softbank Sony Southern Copper (part of Grupo México) Southwestern Energy Standard Bank Standard Chartered Staples Starbucks State Bank of India State Street Statoil Sumitomo Group Sumitomo Mitsui Banking (part of Sumitomo Group) Sun Hung Kai Properties Sun Life Financial Suncor Surgutneftegas Swiss Re Syngenta Sysco Takeda Pharmaceutical Talisman Target Tata Consultancy Services (part of Tata Group) Tata Group Teck Resources Telecom Italia Telefónica Telenor TeliaSonera Telstra Tesco Teva Pharmaceutical Texas Instruments ThyssenKrupp Time Warner TJX Tokio Marine & Nichido (part of Millea) Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) Toronto-Dominion Bank Toshiba Total Toyota Transcanada Transocean Tullow Oil Tyco UBS Unibail UniCredit Bulbank Unilever Union Pacific United Technologies UnitedHealth Group UPS US Bancorp Vale Veolia Environnement (formerly Vivendi) Verizon Viacom Vinci Visa Inc. Vivendi Vodafone Volkswagen Wal-Mart de Mexico Walgreen Walmart Walt Disney Waste Management Wellpoint Wells Fargo Wesfarmers Westfield Westpac Wharf Holdings Wilmar International Wipro Woolworths Group Xstrata (part of Glencore) Yahoo! YUM! Zurich
Author: Financial Times
Tony Buzbee, owner of The Buzbee Law Firm in Houston, Texas, has more than a thousand clients with one common goal: to extract money from BP over the Gulf of Mexico disaster. They include 18 men who were injured in the explosion on the Deepwater...
Author: Business and Human Rights Resource Centre & Realizing Rights
As representatives of over 1000 companies gather this week in New York at the United Nations Global Compact Leaders Summit, Realizing Rights and the Business & Human Rights Resource Centre have published a list of over 270 companies worldwide...
- Related in-depth areas: Tools & Guidance
- Related companies: ABB Abbott Laboratories Aberdeen Asset Management ABN Amro adidas Aegon AGF - Assurances Générales de France (part of Allianz) Akzo Nobel Alcan (now Rio Tinto Alcan) Alcatel-Lucent Alcoa Alliance Boots (part of Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) Allianz Alstom Anglo American ANZ Bank Aramex Arcelor Mittal Areva Arla Foods ArmorGroup (part of G4S) ASN Bank (part of SNS Reaal) Associated British Foods AstraZeneca Aviva Balfour Beatty Banco Bradesco Banco do Brasil Barclays Barrick Gold BASF Bayer BBVA BG Group BHP Billiton BMW Boeing Bonnier Group Bouygues BP Brambles British Airways British American Tobacco BT Cable and Wireless Cadbury (part of Mondelēz International) Cadbury Schweppes (now Cadbury) Carrefour Casino Cemex Centrica Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore Xstrata) Chevron Chiquita Chubu Electric Power Cisco Systems Citigroup Co-operative Bank (part of Co-operative Group) Co-operative Group Coca-Cola Codelco Colgate-Palmolive Commerzbank Compass Group ConocoPhillips Continental AG Control Risks Cosmo Oil Crédit Agricole Credit Suisse Daimler DaimlerChrysler (now Daimler) Danone De Beers Dell Deutsche Bahn Deutsche Telekom Diageo DLH (Dalhoff Larsen & Horneman) Dow Chemical DuPont E.ON EADS (European Aeronautic Defence and Space) EDF EMI Enagás EnCana Endesa (part of Enel) Eni Ericsson Eroski ExxonMobil FCC Ferrovial Ford Fortis Freeport-McMoRan Friends Provident Fuji Photo Film Fujitsu G4S Gaz de France (part of GDF Suez) GDF Suez General Electric General Motors GlaxoSmithKline Gold Fields Goodyear Grupo ACS Gucci (part of Pinault-Printemps-Redoute) Halliburton HBOS (part of Lloyds) Henkel Hess Corporation Hilton Hitachi Holcim HP (Hewlett-Packard) HSBC Iberdrola IKEA Impala Platinum Imperial Tobacco Indian Oil Corporation ING Intel InterContinental Hotels International Power ISS JFE Johnson Matthey KBC Kimberly-Clark Kinross Gold Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR) L'Oreal Lafarge Lagardère Lego Levi Strauss Linde Lloyds TSB Lonmin Lundin Petroleum Man Group Marks & Spencer Marriott Marubeni Mazda McDonald's Merck Microsoft Mitchells & Butlers Mitsubishi Electric (part of Mitsubishi Group) Mitsubishi Group Mitsui Mizuho Bank (part of Mizuho Financial Group) Monsanto Morgan Stanley Motorola National Grid NEC Neste Oil Nestlé Newmont Nexen Nokia Nomura Nordea Bank Norsk Hydro (now part of Statoil) Novartis Novo Group Novo Nordisk (part of Novo Group) Novozymes NYK Line O2 (part of Telefónica) Occidental Petroleum OceanaGold OMV Pentland Group PepsiCo Persimmon Petrobras Pfizer Posco PPR (formerly Pinault-Printemps-Redoute) Premier Oil PricewaterhouseCoopers Procter & Gamble Prudential plc Rabobank Reckitt Benckiser Reebok (part of adidas) Repsol YPF Rexam Ricoh Rio Tinto Rio Tinto Alcan (part of Rio Tinto) Roche Royal Bank of Scotland Royal Caribbean Cruises Royal Philips Electronics SABMiller Sanofi-Aventis Sara Lee Sasol SCA Securitas Seven & i Sharp Shell Siemens Signet Skanska Smiths Group SNS Reaal Société Générale Sodexo Sompo Japan Sony Sprint Nextel Stagecoach Group Standard Chartered Starwood Hotels Statoil Stora Enso Sumitomo Electric Industries (part of Sumitomo Group) Sumitomo Group Sun Microsystems Syngenta Talisman Tata Group Taylor Wimpey Telecom Italia Telefónica TeliaSonera Tesco Timberland Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) Tom's of Maine Tomkins Toshiba Total UBS Unilever United Technologies Vale Vattenfall Verizon Vodafone Volvo Group Westpac Weyerhaeuser Whitbread Wolseley WPP Xerox Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata) Yara Yell Group
Author: BBC News
BP has denied claims by one of its partners that its handling of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill amounted to "gross negligence"...BP said it "strongly disagrees" with Anadarko Petroleum, who said BP's behaviour in the run-up to the disaster was "reckless...
- Related stories: US Deepwater Horizon explosion & oil spill lawsuits
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights impacts of oil pollution: US Gulf Coast Human rights impacts of oil pollution: US Gulf Coast Human rights impacts of oil pollution: US Gulf Coast Human rights impacts of oil pollution: US Gulf Coast
- Related companies: Anadarko BP Mitsui