Headquarters in South Africa
Author: The Zimbabwean
Any process of enriching individuals or companies connected to the infamous criminal syndicate that is Zanu (PF) will be nullified once the MDC is in power, MDC-T minister of agriculture designate, Roy Bennett...[said] in Cape Town yesterday......
- Related stories: Opposition politician Roy Bennett criticises company for allegedly profiting from killings at Marange diamond fields.
- Related in-depth areas: Killings - an introduction Zimbabwe
- Related companies: Anglo American Anglo Platinum (part of Anglo American) Impala Platinum New Reclamation Old Mutual Rio Tinto
Author: Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
This briefing highlights reports from a range of sources about how businesses have impacted human rights, positively and negatively, in Anglophone Africa over the past year... [Headings:] Examples of the “resource curse” ...HIV/AIDS and TB...Dams:...
- Related stories: New briefing on business & human rights in Anglophone Africa, by Business & Human Rights Resource Centre
- Related companies: Accor AGIP (part of Eni) Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Barrick Gold Best Western Bridgestone Bridgestone-Firestone (part of Bridgestone) Carlson Cartier (part of Richemont) Chevron Collum Coal Mining Daimler De Beers DLH (Dalhoff Larsen & Horneman) Elf Aquitaine (now part of Total) Eni Ericsson ExxonMobil Firestone Natural Rubber (part of Bridgestone) Ford General Motors Hess Corporation Hilton Hyatt IBM InterContinental Hotels Lahmeyer Marathon Oil Marks & Spencer Mbada Diamonds (joint venture New Reclamation Group & Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation) Microsoft MTN New Reclamation Newmont NH Hoteles Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) Rapaport Group Red Back Mining Rheinmetall Richemont SABMiller Salini Impregilo Shell Starwood Hotels Total Tullow Oil Vanco Energy Walmart Wilderness Safaris Zain Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation (ZMDC)
[PDF] Extractive Industries Policy and Legal Handbook: Analysis of the key issues in Zimbabwe's mining sector - Case study of the plight of Marange and Mutoko Mining Communities
Author: Shamiso Mtisi, Mutuso Dhliwayo & Gilbert Makore, Zimbabwe Environmental Law Association
This handbook constitutes one of the battles being fought by civil society organisations to promote and protect the rights of communities living adjacent to mining areas against the operations of extractive industries, the state and other individuals...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News
- Related companies: Anhui Foreign Economic Construction Anjin (joint venture Anhui Foreign Economic Construction, Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation & Govt. of Zimbabwe) Mbada Diamonds (joint venture New Reclamation Group & Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation) New Reclamation Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation (ZMDC)
Author: Claire Adler, Financial Times
The celebrity-studded war crimes trial of…Charles Taylor…has turned the world’s attention back to conflict diamonds…Now, troubles in Zimbabwe’s diamond sector have sparked a debate…about the future of the Kimberley Process…“The Kimberley Process has...
Author: Arthur Bright, Christian Science Monitor
Zimbabwe reentered the legal diamond market this week with Tuesday's $72 million sale of 900,000 carats of the gems. The sale was supervised by an international 'blood diamond' watchdog group amid ongoing allegations that the Zimbabwean military is...
- Related stories: Zimbabwe sells diamonds from Marange fields, site of alleged abuses, with approval from Kimberley Process
- Related in-depth areas: Alleged abuses Case examples Latest news on conflict & peace Sourcing from conflict zones
- Related companies: Mbada Diamonds (joint venture New Reclamation Group & Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation) New Reclamation Rapaport Group Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation (ZMDC)
Author: Global Witness
This report is an update on the situation in Marange. It calls on the Kimberley Process to take urgent and decisive action to address Zimbabwe’s non-compliance with the scheme’s rules, bring to an end the violence and corruption in the Marange diamond...
[PDF] Partnership Africa Canada report: Diamonds and Clubs - The Militarized Control of Diamonds and Power in Zimbabwe
Author: Partnership Africa Canada
The story of Zimbabwe’s contested diamond fields is about many things: smuggling and frontier hucksterism; a scramble fuelled by raw economic desperation and unfathomable greed; and, of course, heart-wrenching cases of government-sponsored repression...
- Related stories: Report criticises Kimberley Process for failing to act on crisis in Zimbabwe Diamond industry
- Related companies: Marange Resources (part of Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation) Mbada Diamonds (joint venture New Reclamation Group & Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation) New Reclamation Zimbabwe Mining Development Corporation (ZMDC)