Occidental Chemical (part of Occidental Petroleum)
New Jersey sues three companies for discharging and delaying cleanup of highly toxic dioxin in the lower Passaic river [USA]
Author: New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection [USA]
...New Jersey filed suit against Occidental Chemical Corporation, Maxus Energy Corporation and Tierra Solutions, Inc. for the intentional discharge of dioxin - an extremely dangerous, cancer-causing chemical - and other contaminants into the Passaic...
- Related companies: Occidental Chemical (part of Occidental Petroleum) Occidental Petroleum
Nicaragua: ex banana workers to get $ 97 mln. - multinationals condemned for use of pesticides, end of hunger strike
A final verdict of Nicaraguan judge Socorro Toruño has brought an end to the hunger strike of ex-banana workers...The judge decided that a number of American [firms] will have to pay a compensation of $ 97 mln. to 150 former employees, who have...
- Related stories: Nicaragua: Judge rules companies must pay $97 million compensation to former banana workers harmed by pesticides - Standard Fruit, Dole, Dow, Shell, Occidental Chemical
- Related companies: Dole Dow Chemical Occidental Chemical (part of Occidental Petroleum) Occidental Petroleum Shell
Author: Nolwenn WEILER, Libération [France]
Soixante-quinze jours de squat devant l’Assemblée nationale à Managua, plusieurs grèves de la faim, des menaces d’immolations... Les milliers de victimes nicaraguayennes du pesticide Nemagon ont dû user d’armes redoutables pour faire entendre leur voix...
Author: Nicolas Bérubé & Benoit Aquin, In These Times
In the ’70s and ’80s, the banana companies Dole, Del Monte and Chiquita used a carcinogenic pesticide, Nemagon, to protect their crops in Nicaragua. Today, the men and women who worked on those plantations suffer from incurable illnesses...Nemagon.....
A US federal court in New York has dismissed a legal action brought by Vietnamese plaintiffs over the use of Agent Orange during the Vietnam War. The plaintiffs had sought compensation from the firms that manufactured the chemical, which allegedly...
- Related stories: US federal court dismisses case brought against chemical companies over use of Agent Orange in Vietnam War
- Related companies: Ansul (part of Tyco) Crompton Corporation Dow Chemical Elementis Harcros Chemicals Hercules Monsanto Occidental Chemical (part of Occidental Petroleum) Occidental Petroleum Pfizer Pharmacia (part of Pfizer) Tyco Valero Energy Wyeth (part of Pfizer)
Author: Christine Kearney, Reuters
Attorneys representing major US chemical companies defended them against charges Monday that the companies committed war crimes by supplying the military with Agent Orange during the Vietnam War...If the lawsuit were successful, billions of dollars...
- Related stories: Chemical firms seek dismissal of US lawsuit over harms allegedly caused by Agent Orange to Vietnamese during war
- Related companies: Ansul (part of Tyco) Crompton Corporation Dow Chemical Elementis Harcros Chemicals Hercules Monsanto Occidental Chemical (part of Occidental Petroleum) Occidental Petroleum Pharmacia (part of Pfizer) Valero Energy Wyeth (part of Pfizer)
Author: Ana Elena Obando, Women's Human Rights net
[A] special report on the legal, civil and criminal responsibilities of states and corporations to the people for the violation of their human rights. It explains the international legal framework and the mechanisms available that may be used to hold...
- Related stories: Apartheid reparations lawsuits (re So. Africa) BHP lawsuit (re Papua New Guinea) Cambior lawsuit (re Guyana) ExxonMobil lawsuit (re Aceh) Shell lawsuit (re Nigeria - Kiobel & Wiwa) Texaco/Chevron lawsuits (re Ecuador) Union Carbide/Dow lawsuit (re Bhopal) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on Pacific Business & Human Rights
- Related companies: BHP Billiton Cambior Chevron Chiquita Dole Dow Chemical ExxonMobil Monsanto (part of Bayer) Occidental Chemical (part of Occidental Petroleum) Occidental Petroleum Pemex Shell Texaco (part of Chevron) Total Union Carbide (part of Dow) Unocal (part of Chevron)
Author: Sasha Lilley, CorpWatch
Gonzáles is one of tens of thousands of plantation workers in Central America, the Caribbean, Western Africa, and the Philippines who have sued several U.S. corporations for exposure to DBCP over the last two decades. In March, Nicaraguan banana...
- Related companies: Dole Dow Chemical Occidental Chemical (part of Occidental Petroleum) Shell
Author: Amy Ling and Martha Olson Jarocki, Pesticide Action Network North America, in Multinational Monitor
Dow Chemical, Shell Oil Company and Standard Fruit (Dole Food Company in the U.S.), must pay $490 million in compensation to 583 banana workers injured by Nemagon, an extremely toxic soil fumigant that has sterilized thousands of Central American...