Headquarters in South Korea
Turkey: Steel producer Posco fired 80 workers to prevent their attempts to unionize, says IndustriALL; co' denies allegations
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited Posco to respond to allegations that 80 workers were fired at its steel plant in Kocaeli for joining IndustriALL Global Union affiliate Birleşik Metal-İş. The company's response is provided below....
...The Labor Ministry of Turkey also visited POSCO ASSAN TST and investigated the case by meeting the employees who were involved. ...
- This is a response from the following companies: Posco
New study examines patterns in the restriction of civil society's scope for action against resource exploitation
Resource and energy demand has increased over the last few decades, with more extraction and land use happening in more countries than ever before and citizens fighting for their rights and working to preserve their livelihoods. The authors of this...
NGO Commentary: Korean govt's response to UNWG visit fails to acknowledge poor labour conditions and negative health impacts of companies
Author: Correspondence NGO group of the UN Working Group’s visit to Korea, Korean House for International Solidarity (Republic of Korea)
"Comment: The government’s response to UN Working Group’s Korea visit report does not reflect the Korean reality", 11 June 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: South Korea, 23 May - 1 Jun 2016
- Related companies: Asahi Glass Fine Techno Korea Busan Transportation Corporation Daewoo International (part of Posco) GTS Korea Hyundai Heavy Industries Hyundai Motor (part of Hyundai Kia Motor) Hyundai Steel Korea Minting and Security Printing Corporation LG Electronics (part of LG Corp.) Lotte Co. Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation Posco Samsung Seoul Metropolitan Rapid Transit Corporation SK Corporation Yoosung Enterprise Co.
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre is working with International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran on the "Iran Business Responsibility" (IBR) project....
“Excluyen a Petrochina del Fondo de Pensiones de Noruega por riesgos de corrupción” – 26 de mayo de 2016...
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas
- Related companies: Bharat Electrical China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) Daewoo Group Duke Energy Eni Finmeccanica Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM) Norilsk Nickel PetroChina (part of China National Petroleum Corporation) Posco Rio Tinto Saipem (part of Eni) Volcán, Compañía Minera
Author: UN Working Group on business & human rights
The Working Group welcomes the Government’s commitment to the Guiding Principles and the topic of business and human rights. It emphasizes the importance of moving from commitment to action and embedding the Guiding Principles in all commercial and...
Author: Counter Currents
Prafulla Samantara, National Convener, National Alliance of Peoples’ Movements and the leader of Lokshakti Abhiyan, Orissa has been awarded The Goldman Environmental Prize, Asia, 2017. The Goldman Environmental Prize honours the achievements and...
- Related stories: Goldman Environmental Prize 2017 winners announced India: NGO alleges human rights defender who opposed Vedanta mine was attacked by persons hired by the company; company says claims are "baseless"
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights defenders Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: Posco Vedanta Resources
The definitive suspension of the POSCO project in Odisha, India, is an important victory for social movements, peasants, fisher folks and forest dwellers in the area who have been fighting to protect their land, livelihood and environment over the...
- Related stories: India: Amid resistance from communities, POSCO offers to surrender land acquired for $12-billion steel project
- Related companies: Posco