Qatar: 11 migrant workers die in labour camp fire; Hilton issues statement & PM visits injured
All components of this story
The death toll from a fire at a Qatari labor camp last week has risen to 13 after two more victims succumbed to their injuries, a medical official said Tuesday...It is believed the latest two victims from Wednesday's fire were among the 12 people the ministry also said were being treated for injuries at Hamad hospital...The identity of the victims – and their nationality – has not been made public.
Author: Qatar News Agency
HE the Prime Minister and Minister of Interior Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al-Thani on Saturday visited Hamad General Hospital to check on the workers who were injured by the fire, which occurred last Wednesday at the labor accommodation of a company working on the Salwa Tourism project.
His Excellency gave directives to the medical staff to provide all the necessary services and proper medical care for the wounded workers, wishing the injured quick recovery
Author: Shabina S. Khatri & Lesley Walker, Doha News
The men who died were employed to work on a new massive waterfront resort roughly 100km outside of Doha. The project includes the Hilton Beach Resort hotel and is expected to open by the end of 2019.
In a statement to Doha News, a Hilton spokesperson said the company was “saddened” to hear what happened. She added:
“We understand this fire happened off-site, however can confirm that the tourism project is a large mixed use development that is currently in the hands of the contractor, Al Ali Engineering Contracting & Trading Est.
Hilton does not manage the tourism project but will ultimately operate a hotel within this broader development. Hilton Salwa will be handed to Hilton on completion by the owning company, to operate. We have however contacted the site managers and they have advised that an investigation is underway.”
Al Ali Engineering has not yet responded to a request for comment.
The deaths of 11 workers in a Qatar labour camp fire on 1 June is yet another example of the government’s complete disregard for the migrant workers building the huge infrastructure programme in the lead-up to the 2022 World Cup. A further 12 workers were injured in the fire, which happened in a labour camp housing workers on the Salwa tourism development which includes a 362-room Hilton Hotels resort.