Your search returned 45 results. You are on page 5 of 5.
Author: Jonathan Watts, Guardian [UK]
Enkhmaa – an illegal gold miner…says the Mongolian police seized, beat and imprisoned her for wandering too close to a foreign-owned mine… Russian and local firms have bought up concessions to mine the land [around Ogoomor, Mongolia]… For years, the...
[PDF] Release of IPT [Indian People's Tribunal] Report on Kashipur: An Enquiry into Mining and Human Rights Violations in Kashipur, Orissa
Author: Indian People's Tribunal on Environment & Human Rights
An eight member multidisciplinary panel of the Indian People’s Tribunal headed by Justice S. N. Bhargava (Former Chief Justice Sikkim High Court) enquired into alleged human rights and environment violations created by a bauxite-mining project...
- Related stories: Indian People's Tribunal raises serious human rights & environmental concerns about proposed Uktal bauxite mine in Orissa (joint venture Hindalco & Alcan)
- Related in-depth areas: Environment - An introduction Health - an introduction India Indigenous peoples - an introduction Other authors, including governments
- Related companies: Aditya Birla Group Alcan (now Rio Tinto Alcan) Hindalco (part of Aditya Birla Group) Vedanta Resources
The Fight for Gold: Police Violently Repress Peaceful Protest at International Mining Conference in Andean Region of Argentina
Author: Centre for Human Rights & Environment (CEDHA - Argentina)
Andalgalá, Catamarca...Local citizens suffered a brutal beating, teargas, and rubber bullets fired by local police at a pro-mining meeting...between high government officials and mining representatives...when [the citizens] claimed their right to know...
- Related stories: Argentina: Police repress protest at mining conference
- Related companies: Barrick Gold Goldcorp Northern Orion Resources Xstrata (part of Glencore Xstrata)
Three civilians were killed in violent clashes between Sudanese police and residents protesting the construction of a dam on the Nile river north of Khartoum, police said...Nine people, including four policemen, were also wounded in the clashes Friday...
Author: Jeremy Lovell, Reuters
An advisor to the European Union on illegal logging called yesterday for the creation of a specialist group of international environment police to catch criminals plundering the Earth's resources.