So. Africa: Govt. announces it will pay out US$ 70 million in compensation to victims of Lonmin Marikana shootings; lawyers representing victims say govt. update "hollow"
The South African Presidency on Sunday 11 December issued an update on steps taken by government to implement recommendations of the Farlam Commission of Inquiry. Forty-four people‚ including 34 miners‚ were killed during a wage dispute at Lonmin mine in Marikana four years ago. Earlier this year‚ the government appointed an actuary to calculate all claims‚ most of which are loss of support claims from the deceased’s families. The Presidency says it is prepared to compensate the claims once all due processes have been completed. Lawyers representing Marikana victims have called President Jacob Zuma’s update on compensation “hollow”‚ adopting a wait-and-see approach, arguing that the same announcement was made last year but nothing came of it. In a statement, Amnesty International, said "The government must act swiftly to finalize the payment and ensure effective remedies and justice for the 44 lives lost" Lonmin's company executive vice president of human resources, Abey Kgotle in response to the statement said Lonmin "is working with all levels of government to find a lasting solution that will facilitate the development of different living conditions,”.
All components of this story
So. Africa: President Ramaphosa says compensation pay-outs to the survivors of the Marikana massacre and the families of the mine workers shot dead by police should be finalised within the coming months
Author: Govan Whittles, Mail & Guardian (South Africa)
"Cyril’s atonement for Marikana: Compensation is nearly ready", 20 Feb 2018
Compensation payouts to the survivors of the Marikana massacre and the families of the mine workers who were shot dead by police should be finalised within the coming months, President Cyril Ramaphosa has said. “The government is making progress in continued engagements with legal representatives with the families, including reparations to them. This must be concluded in the coming months,” Ramaphosa told MPs on Tuesday, during his reply to the State of the Nation debate...“I’m determined to play whatever role I can in the process of healing and atonement for what happened in Marikana. In this I am guided by the needs and the wishes of the families of the 44 workers who lost their lives.”, [Ramaphosa said]...
Author: Sipho Mabena, Herald Live (South Africa)
"A hollow ring to government’s statement on compensation‚ say lawyers for Marikana victims", 12 Dec 2016
Lawyers representing Marikana victims have called President Jacob Zuma’s update on compensation “hollow”‚ adopting a wait-and-see approach as the same announcement was made last year but nothing came of it. Lawyer for the injured and arrested mineworkers‚ Andries Nkome‚ said until the president issued a joint statement with the 275 injured and arrested miners‚ “South Africans should not be fooled into believing in government’s compassion”. He said‚ like always‚ the miners were not involved and get to know the decisions taken about them when they are announced in public. Nkome said Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa‚ the Lonmin executive‚ then police minister Thanti Mthethwa and former minerals and resources minister Susan Shabangu must also be arrested. “These are the people from who the whole tragedy played out. There must be consequences‚” he said...
Govt. threatens to cancel Lonmin's licence over failure to meet housing commitment for employees; company says working to find a lasting solution
Author: Kevin Crowley, Bloomberg Markets (South Africa)
"Lonmin Threatened by South Africa Over Slow Response to Massacre", 12 Dec 2016
South Africa’s government threatened to remove Lonmin Plc’s mining license for its failure to build houses for its workers quickly enough, four years after employees were killed in a massacre near its Marikana mine...The government will consider taking tougher action to make sure the world’s third-largest platinum miner fulfils its commitments. “A compliant housing plan will be requested from Lonmin, failing which immediate action in the form of suspension or cancellation of the mining right will be taken,” the presidency said...Improving workers’ living conditions was a key recommendation of the Farlam Commission, set up to investigate the deaths of at least 44 people who were killed, mostly by police, during protests near Marikana in 2012. The government is willing to pay compensation to the victims’ families, the presidency said...Lonmin has noted the statement and is working with all levels of government to find “a lasting solution that will facilitate the development of different living conditions,” Abey Kgotle, the company’s executive vice president of human resources, said by phone...
Author: Omogolo Taunyane, Talk Radio 702 (South Africa)
"Govt to fork out R1bil for Marikana victims, Popcru defends Phiyega", 12 Dec 2016
The Presidency has announced it will compensate the families of Marikana victims killed during the 11 August 2012 massacre close to Lonmin mine. Miner workers and police clashed on the day after wage negotiations. In a statement...President Jacob Zuma said the Department of Mineral Resources, SA Police Services (SAPS), Department of Labour and Department of Justice and Correctional Services will take action in accordance with the Farlam Commission of Inquiry...The department [of Mineral Resources] is also embroiled in a R1 billion lawsuit with those affected by the tragedy which was expected to be settled out of court earlier this year.