Headquarters in Japan
Top car manufacturers launch initiative to address environmental, human & labour rights issues in the supply chain
The Raw Materials Observatory is the product of a five-year partnership [...] between 10 leading car manufacturers which aims to improve sustainability in the automotive supply chain. The new commitment, signed by Daimler AG, Honda, JLR, Scania, VW,...
John Ruggie analyses power of multinational firms - aims to bridge gap between voluntary & binding approaches
Author: John Ruggie, Harvard University, Regulation & Governance (Australia)
"Multinationals as global institution: Power, authority and relative autonomy", 27 June 2017...
- Related companies: Alphabet Apple British American Tobacco Coca-Cola Equinor (formerly Statoil) ExxonMobil General Electric Google (part of Alphabet) Microsoft Novartis Occidental Petroleum Philip Morris International Reynolds American RJ Reynolds (part of Reynolds American) Shell Sinopec Starbucks Total Toyota Unilever Walt Disney
Author: Peter Waldman, BloombergBusinessweek (USA)
[Article originally published 23 March 2017, with 13-minute audio report (scroll down to end of full article).]...
An umbrella organisations of labour unions in the manufacturing industries has published a study showing that the agreements between management and the labour unions of manjor manufacturers all allow for overtime at least up to the officialy recognise...
China: Graphite production for lithium-ion batteries causes severe environmental pollution; complaints by villagers are suppressed
Author: Peter Whoriskey, Washington Post
“In your phone, in their air - A trace of graphite is in consumer tech. In these Chinese villages, it’s everywhere.”, 2 October 2016...
Negative effects of lithium mining on indigenous communities in Chile & Argentina exposed by Washington Post investigation; includes company statements
Author: Todd C. Frankel & Peter Whoriskey, Washington Post
“Tossed aside in the ‘white gold’ rush: Indigenous people are left poor as tech world takes lithium from under their feet”, 19 December 2016...
- Related stories: Tracking human rights violations & environmental impacts in lithium batteries supply chains in China, DRC & So. America
- Related companies: Amazon.com Apple FMC General Motors LG Chem LG Electronics (part of LG Corp.) Panasonic Samsung Sociedad Química y Minera de Chile (SQM) Tesla Motors Toyota
Tracking human rights violations & environmental impacts in lithium batteries supply chains in China, DRC & So. America
This series of stories in the Washington Post found that the manufacture of lithium-ion batteries - the power source for smartphones, laptops and electric cars - is linked to human rights abuses and environmental pollution in cobalt mines in Congo,...
USA: Corporate Equality Index scores record number of companies full marks for having inclusive policies for LGBT workers
Company disclosure of water management strategies exemplifies importance of water security for climate action
Author: Carbon Disclosure Project
"Thirsty business: Why water is vital to climate action, 2016 Annual Report of Corporate Water Disclosure", Nov 2016...
- Related in-depth areas: Mitigation
- Related companies: Acciona Anglo Platinum (part of Anglo American) BASF Bayer Centrica Coca-Cola Colgate-Palmolive Diageo Engie (formerly GDF Suez) Fiat Chrysler Ford General Motors GlaxoSmithKline Gold Fields Harmony Gold HP (Hewlett-Packard) Iberdrola Inditex Kao Kumba Iron Ore L'Oreal Lockheed Martin Mitsubishi Electric (part of Mitsubishi Group) Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM) OMV Sony Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) Toyota Unilever