Oil & gas
For further tools & guidance, see the Extractives section on the Resource Centre’s Tools & Guidance Portal. For further reports & articles, see the Resource Centre’s general section on Oil, gas & coal.
1. Tools & guidance
IPIECA launches manual on community grievance mechanisms for oil & gas sector, International Petroleum Industry Environmental Conservation Association, Jan 2015
"Business, Human Rights, and Uganda’s Oil - Part II: Protect and Remedy: Implementing State duties under the UN Framework on Business and Human Rights"
Gabriella Wass & Chris Musiime, IPIS & ActionAid Uganda, 31 Dec 2013
“Oil and Gas Sector Guide on Implementing the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights”
Shift, Institute for Human Rights and Business, for the European Commission, Jun 2013
“Company Mechanisms for Addressing Human Rights Complaints”, CSR Europe, Mar 2013
“Why human rights matter: Background reader”, Danish Institute for Human Rights, Jan 2013
“Workshop Summary “Sharing on Corporate Social Responsibility” (Myanmar), David Allan, Spectrum, Nov 2012
“Participants discussed many issues associated with extractives industries in Myanmar, studied case studies from other resource-rich countries and brainstormed possible solutions applicable in Myanmar.”
"Operational level grievance mechanisms: good practice survey", IPIECA, Nov 2012
"Human Rights Training Toolkit - 3rd edition", IPIECA, Jun 2014
For further tools & guidance, see the Resource Centre’s Tools & Guidance Portal.
2. Examples of uses
"UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights: Simultaneous Implementation and Learning"
Elizabeth Wild & Nili Safavi, BP, 17 Mar 2014
"Kosmos Energy: On Hydrocarbon Exploration Offshore Western Sahara"
Kosmos Energy, Feb 2014
Refers to conducting activities in according with UN Guiding Principles
"Kenya's Emerging Natural Resources Sector: Getting it Right", Rose Kimotho, Institute for Human Rights & Business, 6 Sep 2013
Refers to UN Guiding Principles as a tool to "help all actors manage such tensions in ways that are consistent with the Kenyan government’s international obligations to protect human rights"
"Report: Business and Human Rights Workshop – Putting the Ruggie-Framework and the Guiding Principles into Practice [Berlin, 15 Apr]"
CSR Europe, 26 Jul 2013
Includes information on human rights practices & policies of Enel, Total and Vattenfall.
US Department of State, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights & Labor, US Department of State, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights & Labor, 1 May 2013
See section V
”Ethical Oil?”, The Laws of Rule, 16 Jan 2013
”Follow-up report on indigenous peoples and the right to participate in decision-making, with a focus on extractive industries”, UN Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, 16 Aug 2012
“Bringing a Human Rights Lens to Corporate Water Stewardship: Results of Initial Results”, Shift, Pacific Institute, Aug 2012
Includes example regarding oil & gas company in Tunisia.
"IPIECA Participates on EC Roundtable for Business and Human Rights", IPIECA, 27 Jun 2012
"Civil Society Organizations Convening on Business and Human Rights: The Extractive Industry in Kenya", Kenya National Commission on Human Rights, 19-20 Jun 2012
“Proposals for resolutions to be presented at the Annual General Meeting (AGM) Lundin Petroleum AB (publ) Thursday 10 May 2012”, European Coalition on Oil in Sudan (ECOS), Apr 2012
Lundin Petroleum AB’s response also provided.
"Sustainable development report 2011", Sakhalin Energy, 31 Jan 2012
"New Guardian film showcases ongoing abuse of civilians in eastern Congo's mines", Global Witness in Guardian (UK), 16 Sep 2011
Calling for US conflict minerals regulations to mirror UN Guiding Principles.
"Investment firms push oil companies on Syria", Barry B. Burr, Pensions & Investments, 9 Aug 2011
"Conflict Risk Network calls on Italian oil company to ensure it's not fueling Qaddafi", Conflict Risk Network, 1 Aug 2011
"Human Rights Due Diligence", Statoil, Annual Report 2011
“Human Rights Responsibilities in Oil and Gas Operations: Applying the UN Guiding Principles” British Institute of Intl. Law and Comparative Law, 2013
Related stories and components
[PDF] Oil and Gas Sector Guide on Implementing the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
Author: Shift, Institute for Human Rights and Business, for the European Commission
This Guide applies the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights...to the specific context of the oil & gas ("O&G") sector. Recognising that each company is different, it is intended to help O&G companies “translate” respect for...
- Related stories: European Commission publishes human rights guidance consistent with UN Guiding Principles for 3 business sectors
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on UNGPs Oil & gas
Author: Madeleine Koalick, twentyfifty, on Business Fights Poverty blog
In 2012, we supported Kuoni, the Swiss travel company, to design and implement their first HRIA and I experienced first-hand the value of such a process for understanding business risk and defining a sustainable business strategy...One important...
[PDF] Business and Human Rights Workshop – Putting the Ruggie-Framework and the Guiding Principles into Practice [Berlin, 15 Apr]
Author: CSR Europe
Over eighty participants from around fifty multinational companies gathered to discuss the different aspects of the UNGP...The discussion revealed that efforts are well underway to look at human rights in a systematic way, using them as a lens to...
- Related stories: CSR Europe publishes report on business & human rights workshop; features 10 companies' practices & policies on human rights
- Related in-depth areas: Food & beverage Information & communications technology Latest news on UNGPs Mining Oil & gas
- Related companies: Arcelor Mittal Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Glencore) Daimler Deutsche Telekom Enel Hitachi HP (Hewlett-Packard) Nestlé Total Vattenfall
Author: Rose Kimotho, Institute for Human Rights & Business
In March 2012, Tullow Oil announced that it had discovered oil in Turkana County...securing Kenya’s place as a potential oil producer...[T]here is an urgent need to strengthen accountability and transparency in the management of the sector...[E...
Business, Human Rights, and Uganda’s Oil - Part II: Protect and Remedy: Implementing State duties under the UN Framework on Business and Human Rights
Author: Gabriella Wass & Chris Musiime, IPIS & ActionAid Uganda
In accordance with the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, this second report assesses the duty of the Ugandan, British, French and Chinese States to prevent, investigate, punish and redress human rights abuse by businesses. Based on...
- Related stories: Report on implementing State duties under the UN Framework on Business & Human Rights for Uganda's oil industry
- Related in-depth areas: African region Chinese investment overseas Civil society recommendations to governments Extractives, including oil and mines General Judicial remedies Labour issues Land Rights & Displacements Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace Latest news on UNGPs Latest news on UNWG Oil & gas Providing guidance to companies State-based
- Related companies: CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Equinor (formerly Statoil) Kaweri (part of Neumann Gruppe) Neumann Gruppe Tullow Oil
Author: Kosmos Energy
Kosmos Energy holds a petroleum agreement over an area offshore Western Sahara...On December 19, 2013, ONHYM and Kosmos Energy signed a Joint Declaration of Principles. This sets out our joint commitments regarding our exploration activities...in...
- Related stories: Kosmos Energy says Western Sahara exploration activities will benefit local communities & will be conducted in line with UN Guiding Principles NGO concerned that Kosmos Energy's planned exploration in Western Sahara goes against UN legal opinion, does not have local population's consent
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on conflict & peace Oil & gas
- Related companies: Kosmos Energy
This third edition of the Toolkit is designed to enhance the capabilities of companies in managing human rights issues and impacts in their business operations through providing awareness training on human rights issues relevant to employees, suppliers...
"Annual Review 2014 - An extraordinary journey", Apr 2015...