United Utilities website: http://www.unitedutilities.com
Author: Jim Lobe, OneWorld.net
More than 100 non-governmental organizations (NGOs) from around the world have issued an "Evian Water Challenge" to leaders of the Group of Eight (G8) major industrial nations that will meet next week in Evian, France, demanding that they stop...
Pollution still pays as firms shrug off fines - League table of offenders fails to stem neglect [UK]
Author: Paul Brown, Guardian [UK]
A distressing number of well-known companies are continuing to cause pollution despite the name and shame policy of the environment agency, Barbara Young, its chief executive, said yesterday...Among the worst repeat offenders are the water companies...
[PDF] Are the debates on water privatization missing the point? Experiences from Africa, Asia and Latin America
Author: Jessica Budds, doctoral candidate in Geography & Environment at Univ. of Oxford, & Gordon McGranahan, director of Human Settlements Programme, Intl. Institute for Environment & Development, in Environment & Urbanization journal
This paper has two principal aims: first, to unravel some of the arguments mobilized in the controversial privatization debate, and second, to review the scale and nature of private sector provision of water and sanitation in Africa, Asia and Latin...
- Related stories: Rich countries should stop funding water privatisation by World Bank, urge over 100 NGOs worldwide
- Related companies: Aguas Argentinas (now Agua y Saneamientos Argentinos - AySA) Ayala Biwater Grupo Agbar Manila Water (joint venture Ayala, Mitsubishi Corp. & United Utilities) Mitsubishi Group RWE SAUR (part of Bouygues) Suez Thames Water (part of RWE) United Utilities Veolia Environnement (formerly Vivendi)
Author: United Utilities
- Related companies: United Utilities
Author: SustainAbility, UNEP, Standard & Poor's
[Top 50 companies (highest scoring first): Co-operative Financial Services (part of Co-operative Group), Novo Nordisk, BP, British American Tobacco, BT Group, British Airports Authority (BAA), Rabobank, Rio Tinto, Shell, HP, Unilever, Anglo American,...
- Related stories: 2004 survey of corporate non-financial reporting, by SustainAbility, UNEP, Standard & Poor's (highest scoring companies: Co-operative Financial Services, Novo Nordisk, BP)
- Related companies: ABB Abbott Laboratories ABN Amro adidas AEON Agilent Technologies Alcoa Allianz Anglo American Anglo Platinum (part of Anglo American) Aracruz Celulose Autostrade Aventis (now part of Sanofi-Aventis) Barclays BASF Baxter International BC Hydro BHP Billiton BMW BP Bristol-Myers Squibb British Airports Authority (BAA) British Airways British American Tobacco Cadbury Schweppes (now Cadbury) Camelot Canon Carrefour Chiquita City West Water Co-operative Group DaimlerChrysler (now Daimler) Daiwa Securities Deutsche Telekom Diageo Dow Chemical Endesa (part of Enel) Eroski Ford Fuji Photo Film Fuji Xerox (joint venture Fuji Photo Film & Xerox) Gap Gaz de France (part of GDF Suez) General Motors HP (Hewlett-Packard) Hydro-Québec IBM ING Intel Ito-Yokado KarstadtQuelle Kesko Lafarge Manaaki Whenua Matsushita (now Panasonic) Merloni Elettrodomestici Mirant mmo2 (now O2) MTN MTR Natura Nippon Oil Novartis Novo Group Novo Nordisk (part of Novo Group) Novozymes Old Mutual PotashCorp Premier Oil Rabobank Rio Tinto Royal Philips Electronics RWE SABMiller Sasol Severn Trent Shell Sony Starbucks Statoil Suez Suncor Swiss Re Talisman Tata Group Tata Iron and Steel (TISCO) (part of Tata Group) Telecom Italia Tesco Total Toyota Unilever United Utilities VanCity Veolia Environnement (formerly Vivendi) Vodafone Volkswagen Watercare Services Westpac Weyerhaeuser Xerox
Author: Friends of the Earth International
[refers to Frontier Holdings Limited (part of Rimbunan Hijau), RWE, Aguas del Tunari (part of Bechtel), Suez, Maynilad Water (part of Suez), Manila Water (joint venture Ayala, Mitsubishi Corp. & United Utilities), Scottish Water, Victorian...
- Related stories: Friends of the Earth: 34 cases of the negative social, environmental impact of water & biodiversity privatisation
- Related companies: AES Ayala Bechtel BP Manila Water (joint venture Ayala, Mitsubishi Corp. & United Utilities) Mitsubishi Group Rimbunan Hijau RWE Suez United Utilities Walt Disney
Author: Anil Netto, Inter Press Service
...all across Asia, water privatisation schemes are failing to deliver clean and safe drinking water to communities, despite forcing consumers to pay for a basic human right...In contrast, the sterling performance of some major publicly managed water...