Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Brazil
Vale was known as Companhia Vale do Rio Doce (CVRD) until Nov 2007. For items about the company prior to Nov 2007, see our website section on Companhia Vale do Rio Doce.
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Author: Benjamin Bibas, Reporterre (France)
« Valérie Cabanes : « Le crime d’écocide doit être reconnu par la Cour pénale internationale » », 11 mars 2019 ...
- Related stories: Cambodian villagers’ Intl. Criminal Court complaint (re land grabbing)
- Related in-depth areas: Criminal liability for corporate-related human rights abuses Dernières infos juridiques
- Related companies: BHP Billiton Chevron Samarco (joint venture BHP Billiton and Vale) Texaco (part of Chevron) Tokyo Electric Power (TEPCO) Vale
Author: Antonella Angelini, Columbia Law School, on Fair Observer
"The Way Ahead for a UN Treaty on Business and Human Rights", 28 Feb 2019...
- Related stories: Reflections on the Zero Draft of the proposed legally binding treaty on business and human rights
- Related in-depth areas: Intergovernmental working group sessions Latest news on proposed binding treaty Statements, initiatives & commentaries
- Related companies: Vale
Author: Lia Timson, The Sydney Morning Herald
"'Profit before people': documents allege BHP execs were warned over deadly dam", 4 March 2019...
Author: Joana Zanotto, Brasil de Fato (Brazil)
“Com o fechamento iminente de barragens em Minas Gerais, estado do Norte é um dos destinos prioritários da mineradora”, 21 de fevereiro de 2019...
- Related companies: Vale
Author: Spiegel Online
'Bergbaukonzern-Chef bietet Rücktritt an', 3 March 2019...
- Related stories: Brasilien: Mind. 185 Tote nach Dammbruch in Eisenerzmine; TÜV Süd hatte Damm geprüft
- Related companies: TÜV Süd Vale
Swedish pension fund cuts Vale from portfolio after Council on Ethics recommended exclusion following dam collapse
Author: Rachel Fixsen and Nick Reeve, Investment & Pensions Europe
Swedish state pension buffer fund AP1 has begun selling SEK407m (€38.6m) worth of equities and bonds of Brazilian mining company Vale, after the AP Funds’ Council on Ethics recommended the exclusion the company from the AP funds’ portfolios....
- Related stories: Brazil: At least 58 dead & hundreds missing after Vale tailings dam breaks, fresh warnings of a second dam failure
- Related in-depth areas: Brazil: Vale tailings dam bursts in Brumadinho
- Related companies: BHP Billiton Forsta AP-Fonden Vale
Author: Responsible Mining Foundation
[Tailing dams ramin] inadequately addressed by many mining companies... and present some of the most common and most high-stakes risks to workers, communities and environments in the vicinity of mine sites......