Headquarters in United Kingdom
UK Court dismisses Vedanta Resources appeal & allows claim of villagers over water pollution in Zambia to proceed
Author: Global Witness (United Kingdom)
In 2016, at least 200 land and environmental defenders were murdered – the deadliest year on record. Not only is this trend growing, it’s spreading – killings were dispersed across 24 countries, compared to 16 in 2015. With many killings unreported,...
- Related stories: New Global Witness report finds govts., businesses & investors are fueling violence against defenders, 200 of whom were killed in 2016
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Axis Bank BHP Billiton BNDES Coal India (CIL) Energy Transfer Partners Finnfund FMO Glencore Jindal Los Encinos San Miguel Corporation SOCO International South Eastern Coalfields Limited (part of Coal India Limited) Vedanta Resources Yes Bank
South African banks fund mining projects in southern Africa that raise issues over social, environmental, human rights impacts, says new report
Southern Africa Resource Watch, in announcing its report, South African Banks Footprint in SADC Mining Projects, said:...
India: Villagers fear potential gold exploration by Vedanta Resources may result in displacement & environmental destruction; company assures meaningful engagement with community
The village of Sonakhan in the eastern Indian state of Chhattisgarh fear that potential gold exploration by Vednata Resources may result in displacement, loss of livelihoods and environmental destructions. Vedanta said at the time that the mining...
Author: Vedanta Resources
As on date we have not commenced any exploration for the Sonakhan project. If non –invasive exploration shows a promising result, any plans to create a mining operation will undergo community consultation and a community need assessment. Vedanta...
- Related stories: India: Villagers fear potential gold exploration by Vedanta Resources may result in displacement & environmental destruction; company assures meaningful engagement with community
- This is a response from the following companies: Vedanta Resources
The village of Sonakhan in the eastern Indian state of Chhattisgarh...could soon be enveloped by India's first private gold mine...Residents of Sonakhan - 'sona' is gold in Hindi - sift for flecks of gold on the banks of the river Jonk during the...
Author: Counter Currents
Prafulla Samantara, National Convener, National Alliance of Peoples’ Movements and the leader of Lokshakti Abhiyan, Orissa has been awarded The Goldman Environmental Prize, Asia, 2017. The Goldman Environmental Prize honours the achievements and...
- Related stories: Goldman Environmental Prize 2017 winners announced India: NGO alleges human rights defender who opposed Vedanta mine was attacked by persons hired by the company; company says claims are "baseless"
- Related in-depth areas: Human rights defenders Latest news on human rights defenders
- Related companies: Posco Vedanta Resources
Zambia: Communities continue to live in abject poverty and environmental hazards as mines continue to pollute the environment, says church group
Author: Henry Longbottom, Jesuits European Social Centre (Belgium)
"A choking beast of prey – Mega Mines in Zambia", March 2017...
Zambia: Environmental management agency issues compliance and environmental restoration orders to KCM for "polluting the environment over 10 times the statutory limit"
Author: Lusaka Times (Zambia)
"KCM polluting the environment by over 10 times the statutory limit", 28 March 2017...
Recent & future trends in access to remedy for corporate abuse – new briefing by Clifford Chance & Global Business Initiative
Author: Clifford Chance & Global Business Initiative on Human Rights
"Access to Remedy: The Next Frontier?", 16 March 2017...