Headquarters in USA
New report looks at reporting progress under the UK Modern Slavery Act; finds need for better enforcement
Author: Ergon Associates
"Modern slavery reporting: Is there evidence of progress?", October 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on modern slavery & forced labour
- Related companies: Aldi Alphabet Apple ASOS Associated British Foods Balfour Beatty British American Tobacco Co-operative Group Google (part of Alphabet) Intel InterContinental Hotels John Lewis Partnership Marks & Spencer Marshalls Morrisons Nestlé Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Rio Tinto Sainsbury's Standard Chartered Ted Baker Tesco TSB Walgreen Whistles
A group of tech companies including Google, Facebook and Mozilla have agreed to abide by new standards set out by the European Commission in the battle against the dissemination of fake news across the EU. It is the first time worldwide that industry...
USA: Google won’t bid on $10 billion Pentagon cloud computing deal citing potential conflicts with AI principles
Author: Naomi Nix, Bloomberg
"Google Drops Out of Pentagon's $10 Billion Cloud Competition," 8 October 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights: Artificial Intelligence
- Related companies: Alphabet Amazon.com Google (part of Alphabet) Microsoft
Author: Tim Bradshaw, Financial Times
"Google confirms 'Project Dragonfly' for China," 26 September 2018...
Business & Human Rights Resource Centre invited Google to respond to a letter from human rights organizations calling on Google to refrain from launching a censored search engine in China, saying it would violate freedom of expression and right to...
- Related stories: China: Human rights groups call on Google not to launch a censored search engine saying it would violate rights to expression & privacy; co. didn't respond
- This is a non response from the following companies: Alphabet Google (part of Alphabet)
BSR launches human rights-based blueprint for responsible business practice with regard to artificial intelligence
BSR has published three papers describing a human rights-based blueprint for responsible business practice with regard to AI within and beyond the technology sector. These papers explore the importance of a rights-based approach for governing and...
New guidance for companies encourages action to support civic freedoms & human rights defenders & explores opportunities for engagement
Author: Bennett Freeman with Sif Thorgeirsson, Adele Barzelay & Brooks Reed
"Shared space under pressure: Business support for civic freedoms and human rights defenders," 29 August 2018 ...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Positive company initiatives Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: "S Group" adidas ADM (see Archer Daniels Midland) Alphabet Anglo American Apple Archer Daniels Midland Asia Pulp & Paper (part of Sinar Mas) Associated British Foods Barrick Gold Ben & Jerry's (part of Unilever) Bunge Cargill Cartier (part of Richemont) Chevron Chobani Cisco Systems Coca-Cola DLA Piper Eileen Fisher ExxonMobil Facebook FIFA General Electric Golden Agri-Resources Google (part of Alphabet) Grupo Hame IOI Group Johnson & Johnson Lyft McKinsey Microsoft Natural Fruit Nestlé Newmont Nike Oath Inc (formerly Yahoo! & AOL (part of Verizon)) PepsiCo Primark (part of Associated British Foods) Reforestación de Palma del Petén (Repsa) (part of Grupo Hame) Richemont Salesforce.com Shell Siemens Sinar Mas Group Starbucks Stonyfield Farm Telenor Tiffany Uber Unilever Vedanta Resources Verizon Volaris Websense Wilmar International
Global Network Initiative report details human rights impacts of internet shutdowns & recommends involving businesses in advocacy against disruptions
Author: Jan Rydzak, Global Network Initiative
Since 2011, network disruptions and large-scale network shutdowns have become a widespread tool of information control. Governments in at least four continents (Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America) have shut down connectivity or social media... ...
Commentary: Tech companies can contribute to violations of freedom of expression & privacy by complying with govt. user data requests
Author: Isabel Laura Ebert, OpenGlobalRights
"The corporations' dilemma: navigating government access to information," 16 Aug 2018...