KNVB response re conditions for subcontracted workers at USM Qatar
We would like to invite KNVB to:
- Respond to the report’s findings, and
- Disclose what steps it has taken to investigate and remedy workers for the abuse reported.
...The KNVB has engaged with the hotel to understand more about and to discuss the report mentioned above. The hotel has informed us that it has conducted an internal investigation on the reported accident and processing of grievances that (may) have incurred because of it. The findings were shared with us:
- The hotel contracted USM Doha for housekeeping and stewarding services at the property, based on their extremely high audit scores, and Supreme Committee compliance.
- The hotel remains in regular contact with them [USM Doha] to be assured that the wellbeingand quality of accommodation for these team members remains as much a priority for them asit is for the hotel.
- The hotel has processes in place for all team members to escalate any concerns to the hotel so that they can be addressed as quickly as possible.
- The hotel has checked whether the people involved in the accident worked for the St. Regis
- The alarming crash and report were of course an immediate trigger to get in touch with the mentioned company.
- The hotel has not received any notification of grievance.
We would like to take this opportunity to highlight the importance of the report and the work of the Business & Human Rights Resource Centre. It is very important to give voice to those who face difficulties. We would also invite the persons described in the report to report their grievances to the property they worked for in case that their direct employer is not processing it accordingly. Another venue could be to seek help form the International Labour Organisation (ILO).