Myanmar: Garment workers allege facing denied leave, verbal abuse, excessive targets & forced overtime
Date Reported: 11 Aug 2022
CompaniesSYSMM Apparel Manufacturing - Supplier, Stradivarius (Inditex) - Buyer, Bershka (Inditex) - Buyer, Sinsay (part of LPP S.A.) - Buyer, Mohito (part of LPP S.A.) - Buyer
Total individuals affected: 1200Workers: (1200 - Location unknown, Clothing & textile)
IssuesGender Discrimination, Mandatory overtime, Excessive production targets, Denial of leave
Response sought: Yes
Story containing response: (Find out more)
Action taken: SYSMM allegedly supplies to Inditex brands (Stradivarius, Bershka) and LPP brands (Mohito, Sinsay); both brands provided a response to a request for comment from the Resource Centre.
Source type: News outlet
“Not being able to enjoy the benefits in the workplace...”, 11 August 2022
In the workplace…leave entitlements such as leave and working holidays are not granted. The factory workers said that the supervisors used abusive language against the workers in the workplace and had conversations to embarrass the employees.
The workers said that the SYSMM Apparel Manufacturing factory, which was opened at Shwe Pytha Industrial Zone 4, Papa Khao Maung Khat Road, Yangon Region, is committing such violations of labor rights.
In addition, it is said that workers are being forced to work overtime without their consent on Sundays, which are public holidays.
There are more than 1,200 workers in the workplace, and workers…are asked [to meet targets beyond what they can] sew, and are paid only if the requested [targets] are met.
The demands of the factory workers
- If overtime is called on Sundays, which are public holidays, the workers must be called only after asking for their consent.
- [Supervisors] [d]o not behave rudely towards workers…
- To provide full legal benefits.
- To provide enough desks in the workers' lounge and dining area in the factory workplace.
- To recalculate overtime pay for overtime work.
- It is reported that brands such as BERSHKA, STRADIVARIUS, SINSAY, and MOHITO are sewn at the factory.
[Translation via Google Translate]