Myanmar: Labor Alliance publishes selection criteria for Myan Ku Emergency Cash Fund for garment workers
"Selection Criteria for workers from Garment, Textiles & Footwear Sector who will be supported by EU Covid-19 Rapid Response Support to Myanmar (Myan Ku Emergency Cash Fund", 11 April 2020
1. Workers from factories which has been left by employers without paying wages, compensation and severance pay...
2. Workers who worked in daily, temporary and contract type of work ... who are working in informal ... work ... should be prioritized.
3. Workers who worked in Home Based small workplace which were sub contracted by factories...
4. Workers who worked in apprenticeship and in provisional period, and workers who had less than 6 months services....
5. Workers who had less than 3 years services when they were dismissed.
6. Workers who had 3 years and above services when they were dismissed and who did not get compensation according to the notification No. 84/2015 and the existing labour laws.
7. The last priority is regardless of service terms, the workers from the factories which were completely shut down.
8. Workers who are still in the dispute settlement for lay off, temporary shutdown and complete shutdown which are related to covid-19 strike and health conditions.
9. Workers from the factories which were temporarily shutdown without any payment to workers due to the government orders to stay at home and not to do gathering.
Concerns regarding the actual transfer
EU and Myan Ku Fund will apply “Wage Money transfer system” for cash transfer to the workers...
Using “Wave Money System” is good but there should be also other systems as back up.
- Some workers, might face some difficulties when they do not have telephone numbers...
- We have to check if “Wave Money service” reaches every village across the country.
- We would like to share this experience.
In case of limited fund by the EU for the affected workers, we would like to propose that the cash fund should be covering more workers; ie if EU provides 100000 kyats to each worker with a target for 1,000 persons, we would like to propose EU to provide 50,000 kyats each to worker and target 2,000 persons...