abusesaffiliationarrow-downarrow-leftarrow-rightarrow-upattack-typeburgerchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-upClock iconclosedeletedevelopment-povertydiscriminationdollardownloademailenvironmentexternal-linkfacebookfiltergenderglobegroupshealthinformation-outlineinformationinstagraminvestment-trade-globalisationissueslabourlanguagesShapeCombined Shapelocationmap-pinminusnewsorganisationotheroverviewpluspreviewprofilerefreshnewssearchsecurityPathtagticktooltiptwitteruniversalityweb
Article

US to Review Court Decision on Blackwater

The U.S. State Department says it will review a recent U.S. court ruling that dismissed charges against five American private security guards accused of killing at least 17 Iraqi civilians in 2007. A federal judge last month dropped charges against the Blackwater Worldwide guards, saying federal prosecutors violated their constitutional rights by using statements they made under immunity. The decision angered the Iraqi government, which says it has filed its own lawsuit against the private security firm. On Friday, State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley released a statement saying the judge's decision does not exonerate the defendants or necessarily terminate the proceedings. He says the State Department and Justice Department will assess all available legal options.

Part of the following stories

Blackwater USA lawsuit (re 16 Sep 2007 Baghdad incident)

Xe settles civil lawsuits in US over Blackwater shootings in Iraq