Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold)
Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in Canada
Barrick Gold acquired Placer Dome in March 2006.
Author: Tyler Hamilton, Corporate Knights (Canada)
[T]hen-president [of Costa Rica] Oscar Arias declared by executive decree that an open-pit gold development proposed by a Canadian mining company [Infinito Gold]…was “in the national interest.” Arias also lifted a moratorium…to protect...the country’s...
Author: Maricar Cinco, Inquirer (Philippines)
After nearly a decade of battling it out in a United States state court, the province of Marinduque has come close to signing a deal worth $20 million with the mining company that bought the firm being held responsible for unleashing toxic wastes into...
Author: Maricar Cinco, Philippine Daily Inquirer
A...court in Marinduque threw out a case filed against Placer Dome...[which] fishermen sued for the damages caused by 16 years of dumping tons of mine tailings into the Calanacan Bay. The dismissal order…came as negotiations for a settlement continued...
This report aims at exploring contemporary mining conflicts in the context of the sustainable development and environmental justice...[T]he project and type of conflict are characterized in a nutshell, with some basic factual background that describe...
- Related stories: EJOLT report explores mining conflicts in context of sustainable development & environmental justice
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Latest news on conflict & peace
- Related companies: AngloGold Ashanti Antofagasta Barrick Gold China Railway Construction Codelco Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Copper Mesa Mining Corriente Resources (joint venture Tongling Nonferrous Metals, China Railway Construction Corporation & CRCC-Tongguan Investment) Dundee Precious Metals DuPont Eco Oro Minerals (formerly Greystar Resources) Ecuacorriente (part of Corriente Resources) Entre Mares (part of Goldcorp) Enusa Glamis Gold (part of Goldcorp) Goldcorp (now Newmont Goldcorp) Greystar Resources Grupo México Inmet Mining Marubeni Meridian Gold Minera San Xavier (part of New Gold) Mitsubishi Group Mitsubishi Materials (part of Mitsubishi Group) Mitsui Montana Exploradora (part of Goldcorp) New Gold Newmont Goldcorp Nippon Mining Orano (formerly Areva) Pacific Rim Mining Paladin Energy Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold) Rio Tinto Rössing Uranium Southern Copper (part of Grupo México) Tongling Nonferrous Metals Yamana Gold
Author: Geoffrey York, Globe and Mail [Canada]
This is the daily ritual of conflict at the North Mara gold mine in Tanzania: Intrude and retreat, pursue and withdraw—punctuated by flare-ups that sometimes leave people dead. For an eyewitness, it’s difficult to reconcile this cycle of violence with...
Author: Dave Prescott, for Intl. Council on Mining & Metals
[cases on 6 themes: Mining and poverty reduction; Mining and economic development: Revenue management, Regional development planning, Local content; Mining and social investment; Mining and dispute resolution....
- Related stories: Intl. Council on Mining & Metals member firms commit to partnerships for poverty reduction
- Related companies: Aber Diamond Alcoa Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Antamina (joint venture BHP Billiton, Glencore, Teck, Mitsubishi Corporation) BHP Billiton BP China Minmetals Diavik (joint venture Rio Tinto & Aber Diamond Mines) Fluor Freeport Indonesia (part of Freeport-McMoRan) Freeport-McMoRan Gold Fields Hanjin Group Harmony Gold Metals Exploration Minerals and Metals Group (MMG) (part of China Minmetals) Mitsubishi Group Mitsubishi Materials (part of Mitsubishi Group) Newmont Goldcorp Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold) Rio Tinto Teck Resources Vale Virgin Group Xstrata (part of Glencore)
Author: Dave Prescott, Consejo Internacional de Minería y Metales (ICMM)
Este reporte contiene un mapa descriptivo de alianzas en todo el mundo, en lo relativo a los seis temas prioritarios de iniciativa La Minería: Alianzas para el Desarrollo, a saber: la minería y la reducción de la pobreza, la minería y el desarrollo...
- Related in-depth areas: Business tools and guidance
- Related companies: Aber Diamond Alcoa Anglo American AngloGold Ashanti Antamina (joint venture BHP, Glencore, Teck Resources, Mitsubishi Corporation) Barrick Gold BHP (formerly BHP Billiton) BP Cerrejón Coal (joint venture Anglo American, BHP & Glencore) Diavik (joint venture Rio Tinto & Aber Diamond Mines) Freeport Indonesia (part of Freeport-McMoRan) Freeport-McMoRan Gold Fields Hanjin Group Harmony Gold Impala Platinum (Implats) Lonmin Mitsubishi Group Newmont (formerly Newmont Goldcorp) Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold) Richards Bay Minerals (joint venture Rio Tinto & BHP Billiton) Rio Tinto Sasol State Oil Company of Azerbaijan (SOCAR) Teck Resources Virgin Group Xstrata (part of Glencore)
Author: Ophelia Lui, CSR Asia
Whilst mining companies are pouring in a huge sum of investment which gives them the permit to extract raw materials in mineral-rich regions abroad, there is a growing outcry for improvement in work conditions and wages in the local community....
- Related stories: Bloomberg special report: "China in Africa: Young Workers, Deadly Mines"
- Related in-depth areas: African region Chinese investment overseas Extractives, including oil and mines Labour issues
- Related companies: China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) Placer Dome (part of Barrick Gold)
Author: Nina Berglund, Aftenposten [Norway]
Norway's much-vaunted pension fund, which has a stated policy of ethical investments, owns stock in a Canadian mining company accused of polluting an island in the Philippines and causing severe health problems among its residents...The ethical...