Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in United Kingdom
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Author: Latin American Conflict Observatory (OCMAL)
- Related in-depth areas: 中资企业海外投资
- Related companies: AIS Resources Anglo American Antofagasta Argosy Minerals Ltd. Aurelian Ecuador SA. [part of Lundin Gold] B2Gold Barrick Gold Belo Sun BHP Billiton Calibre Mining Corp. Candente Copper CBA (Companhia Brasileira de Aluminio) Codelco Condor Gold Cornerstone Capital Resources Corriente Resources (joint venture Tongling Nonferrous Metals, China Railway Construction Corporation & CRCC-Tongguan Investment) Ecuacorriente (part of Corriente Resources) Empresa Nicaragüense de Minas (Eniminas) Equinox Gold Explorcobres, EXSA (part of Corriente Resources) Fortescue Metals Group Galaxy Resources Goldcorp (now Newmont Goldcorp) Grupo México Hydro (see Norsk Hydro) INV Metals Jujuy Energía y Minería Sociedad del Estado (JEMSE) Junefield Mining Resources Lundin Gold Minera Frisco Newcrest Newmont Goldcorp Pluspetrol Rio Tinto Samarco (joint venture BHP Billiton and Vale) Southern Copper (part of Grupo México) Triton Energy (part of Amerada Hess) Vale Zijin
Madagascar: Rio Tinto ilmenite mining breached environmental buffer zone, allegedly contaminating local waterways with radionuclides; co response included
Author: Yvonne Orengo, The Ecologist
"Rio Tinto 'admits buffer breach'", 9 April 2019....
Diamond Producers Association's report says its members positively impact local communities & working to minimize negative environmental impacts
Author: Cision PR Newswire, Diamond Producers Association (UK)
‘First-Ever Comprehensive Report on the Reality of Modern Diamond Mining Reveals its Impact on Local Communities, Challenges Stereotypes and Identifies Areas for Further Improvement’ 2 May 2019...
USA: Los Angeles port truck drivers allege wage & labour violations in Rio Tinto's supply chain; Includes co. responses
Port truck drivers in California are alleging wage and labour violations due to unlawful misclassification by NFI Industries and its subsidiary, Cal Cartage Express, as independent contractors rather than employees. NFI is a logistics provider for...
Author: Rio Tinto
... Rio Tinto takes the allegations against NFI Industries and its subsidiary Cal Cartage Express seriously. We have asked NFI Industries to demonstrate that they are meeting our Supplier Code of Conduct and they are actively working to respond to our...
- Related stories: USA: Los Angeles port truck drivers allege wage & labour violations in Rio Tinto's supply chain; Includes co. responses
- This is a response from the following companies: Rio Tinto
UK: Pressure from investors and consumers pushes London Metal Exchange to introduce new responsible sourcing rules
Author: Neil Hume, Financial Times
"LME to shake up rules on responsibly sourced metals", 22 April 2019....
- Related stories: UK: London Metal Exchange will only trading of responsibly sourced metals by 2022
- Related in-depth areas: UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
- Related companies: Rio Tinto RUSAL
Mongolia: Herders successfully reach tripartite settlement to remain on heritage land following lawsuit over impact of Oyu Tolgoi mine
Author: Rod Austin, Guardian (UK)
"An example to all': the Mongolian herders who took on a corporate behemoth – and won", 8 Apr 2019...
Church of England Pensions Board & Swedish Council on Ethics request full disclosure on tailing storage facilities from 683 extractives companies
Church of England Pensions Board and the Swedish Council on Ethics for the AP Funds, supported by 96 investors with $10.3 trillion (USD) in assets under management, have sent a letter to 683 listed extractives companies requesting specific disclosure...
Guinée : Des banques françaises financent une mine de bauxite; les habitants parlent d’accaparement de terres et de la destruction de leur environnement
Author: Jean-Michel Meyer, Reporterre
« Les banques françaises financent une mine énorme et polluante en Guinée », 4 avril 2019...