Member of UN Global Compact
Headquarters in United Kingdom
Supporter of Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative
Author: Matthew Renda, Courthouse News Services
"With Government Silent, Corporations Price Emissions to Help Fight Climate Change", 13 September 2017...
- Related stories: Global firms use carbon pricing to reduce emissions, analyze investments, and evaluate risk & opportunities of low-carbon economy
- Related in-depth areas: Mitigation Positive company initiatives
- Related companies: BHP Billiton BP Disney (see Walt Disney) General Motors Microsoft Rio Tinto Shell Unilever
USA: Flambeau mine, operated under existing regulatory framework, hides contamination of groundwater & stream
Author: Lee Bergquist, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
"Game-changing mine bill pits environmental groups, business interests against each other", 11 September 2017...
- Related companies: Rio Tinto
Author: Pambazuka News
"The cost of land grabbing in Mozambique's Tete Province"...
Mongolia: Herders win landmark agreement concerning mine that threatened their livelihood, health, & culture
Author: Sophie Edwards, Devex
"How a group of Mongolian herders took on a mining giant — and won", 9 August 2017...
USA: 3 Californian communities sue 37 “carbon majors” seeking compensation for costs of adapting to sea level rises linked to climate change
New laws & public opinion can help fight modern slavery, but companies should be more proactive in self-reporting
Author: Lindsay Fortado, Financial Times (UK)
Forced labour was once a niche human rights matter for large companies but it has moved to the forefront of corporate concerns with the introduction of the UK's Modern Slavery Act. ... While the law is often criticised for lacking teeth... it has...
Author: Gareth Hutchens, The Guardian (UK)
Bill Shorten has promised to introduce legislation to prevent slave labour being used in the global supply chains of Australian businesses if Labor wins the next election. Labor would require Australia's biggest companies to produce annual reports on...
- Related in-depth areas: Inquiry into the establishment of a Modern Slavery Act in Australia
- Related companies: adidas Nestlé Rio Tinto
“Excluyen a Petrochina del Fondo de Pensiones de Noruega por riesgos de corrupción” – 26 de mayo de 2016...
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese investment overseas
- Related companies: Bharat Electrical China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) Daewoo Group Duke Energy Eni Finmeccanica Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM) Norilsk Nickel PetroChina (part of China National Petroleum Corporation) Posco Rio Tinto Saipem Volcán, Compañía Minera