Related stories and components
Commentary: A bill of data rights is needed to protect freedom of expression & privacy in the digital age
Author: Martin Tisne, MIT Technology Review
"It's time for a bill of data rights," 14 Dec 2018...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights: Artificial Intelligence Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Apple Facebook Microsoft
USA: 2018 report on state of human rights details violations of labour rights, access to water & free, prior & informed consent
Author: US Human Rights Network
In the United States this year...we have seen undeniable, egregious, and unapologetic violations of human rights... Illegal and immoral attempts to encroach on American Indian lands, territories, and the resources of Indigenous Peoples have always been...
Author: Northrop Grumman
Northrop Grumman has a strong human rights policy and we will be addressing the shareholder proposal directly.
- Related stories: USA: Investors file resolutions with companies at risk for human rights violations due to govt. contracts related to immigration
- This is a response from the following companies: Northrop Grumman
Philippines: Workers of Pacific Plaza Towers Condominium go on strike to seek security of tenure and benefits
Author: Briane Dela Peña, CNN Philippines
"The Pacific Plaza condominium protesters who went on hunger strike," 10 December 2018...
USA: Immigrants disproportionately subjected to surveillance, raising concerns regarding privacy & discrimination
Author: Sophie Haigney, Pacific Standard
"Not all surveillance is created equal," 7 Jan 2019...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights Technology and Human Rights: Artificial Intelligence Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Vigilant Solutions
« Les géants de l'intelligence artificielle sauront s'autoréguler, dit Google », 12 décembre 2018...
Khashoggi friend files lawsuit in Israel against NSO Group for allegedly providing software to Saudi Govt. to spy on their conversations
Author: Shannon Van Sant, NPR (USA)
"Khashoggi Friend Accuses Cyber Security Firm Of Helping Saudis Spy On Their Messages", 3 Dec 2018...
UN Special Rapporteur on human rights defenders' global survey highlights role of cos. in attacks in several countries
Author: Michel Forst, UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders (Switzerland)
"World report on the situation of human rights defenders", 17 Dec 2017...
- Related in-depth areas: CEO activism and other positive business initiatives to protect civic freedoms Latest news on human rights defenders Technology and Human Rights: Digital Freedom
- Related companies: Compañia de Minas Buenaventura Formosa Plastics Jiew Kang Jue Pattana Co. Ltd. Minera Yanacocha (joint venture Newmont, Sumitomo & Compañía de Minas Buenaventura) Newmont Sumitomo Group
Analysis of European legal regulation finds that more must be done to protect the rights of bitcoin users
Author: Andrea Emanuele, universitat wien
The aim of this research will be… to find new approaches which States can use in order to cope with the Bitcoin phenomenon and with the human rights violations associated to it… [A]ttention will be given to three specific human rights: right to privacy...
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights
Commentary: It is high time to bind new technology to basic constitutional principles in order to protect human rights, democracy and rule of law
Author: Paul Nemitz, The Royal Society Publishing
"...The principle of rule of law, democracy and human rights by design in AI is necessary because on the one hand the capabilities of AI, based on big data and combined with the pervasiveness of devices and sensors of the Internet of things, will...
- Related stories: BSR launches human rights-based blueprint for responsible business practice with regard to artificial intelligence UK: Ethics incl. human & data rights should be at centre of AI regulation, says House of Lords Select Committee on Artificial Intelligence report
- Related in-depth areas: Technology and Human Rights: Artificial Intelligence