abusesaffiliationarrow-downarrow-leftarrow-rightarrow-upattack-typeburgerchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-upClock iconclosedeletedevelopment-povertydiscriminationdollardownloademailenvironmentexternal-linkfacebookfiltergenderglobegroupshealthinformation-outlineinformationinstagraminvestment-trade-globalisationissueslabourlanguagesShapeCombined Shapeline, chart, up, arrow, graphlocationmap-pinminusnewsorganisationotheroverviewpluspreviewArtboard 185profilerefreshnewssearchsecurityPathStock downStock steadyStock uptagticktooltiptwitteruniversalityweb
Article

Brazil: Supreme Court asks Bolsonaro to provide information regarding the decision to host the Copa America during the Covid-19 crisis

“Brazilian court demands Bolsonaro provide info on Copa America”, 01 June 2021

...A Brazilian Supreme Court judge has given President Jair Bolsonaro five days to submit information regarding the government’s last-minute decision to host the Copa America football tournament despite the nation’s ongoing struggles with COVID-19. The demand by Ricardo Lewandowski came in response to a suit filed by the opposition Workers’ Party, which objected to hosting the tournament given the current public health situation in Brazil and plunged the fate of Latin America’s biggest sporting event into uncertainty once more. Bolsonaro said earlier on Tuesday his government was on board with hosting the Copa America this month after planned host Argentina pulled out due to a dramatic worsening of the coronavirus pandemic there. It comes as Brazil struggles to cope with the ravages of a virus that has killed more than 463,000 people, second only to the United States. Analysts apprehend another wave of the disease to hit the country by late June. Many hospitals have more than 80 percent of their intensive care units occupied by infected people...“As far as it is up to me, and all the ministers, including the health minister, it is all decided,” Bolsonaro said...The opening match is scheduled for June 13 and the final is slated for July 10, but the host cities have not been named and organisers are scrambling to put together a plan for the 10 teams that will fly to Brazil to take part...“Conmebol’s decision generates uncertainty among footballers not just because of the risk to their health but also because of the tranquility and guarantees they require for a normal competition to take place”...