Detailed Update on Lepetkata Tea Factory accident victim ( as on 14th June 2023)
- In July 2022, there was an incident wherein a girl was gravely injured in the CTC processing room while she was sweeping the floor.
- Despite the safety-measures in place, unfortunately the girl crossed the demarcated safety line in order to sweep under the machine. As a result, the unfortunate accident happened.
- The factory manager immediately arranged ambulance, alerted the doctors and other arrangements for immediate medical attention at Dibrugarh central hospital. Thereafter once the injuries were attended, she was moved to the Guwahati central hospital.
- Luxmi team based in Guwahati ensured that immediate & best treatment and care is given to the worker. The worker has been under our care since.
- Luxmi Tea has also ensured that the livelihood earnings of her and her family are secure during the entire period of her treatment.
- Apart from the wages given to her, a 100% monetary compensation has been given under the Workmen compensation laws. This is a combined effort of Luxmi Tea, the district administration and State govt officials. The Company, Luxmi Group extended help to Maina Nayak and her family immediately post the unfortunate incident. Apart from paying the compensation of Rs 13.41 lakhs , Luxmi Group has taken all steps as an aid to the road of recovery .
- The Company has been providing financial assistance and continued paying the daily wage and ration to Maina as an support towards her family till date. After the release from GMCH Maina was taken to the garden hospital in Lepetkata in an ambulance provided by the garden authorities along with medical representative. Till date she is staying in the garden hospital for her further recovery.
- As a survivor of the serious accident, the worker has been upgraded as the role-model to all other workers why should adhere to the safety-rules laid down in the factory. Inorder to stress on safety-awareness mindset to the workers, we have hired quality consultants like IRQS and Cotecna to hold workshop & awareness to workers in all our estates. Eg not to carelessly cross yellow-lined demarcations of each machine areas.
- We strive to make Luxmi group a zero-hazard production factories and we can share some images of the on-going Safety-Awareness workshops being done with emphasis to all workers that our safety-protocols are for their own safety and why they should not be careless about it
- Maina Nayak Release Date from Gauhati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) - 6 February 2023
- Maina Nayak accompanied by the garden medical representative and family members are regularly taken to GMCH as per doctor advice where she is being examined thoroughly. Her first check -up post release from hospital as advised by GMCH doctors was on 20 March’23.
- Her 2nd Visit as advised by doctors was on 12 June'23 . She was examined by her main surgeon Dr Kavita Kalita, the best doctor in the region for Cosmetic, Plastic and Reconstructive surgery. Dr Kavita was satisfied with the healing and have prescribed some new medicines. Her next visit is scheduled in August’23. Doctors team that were also looking after Maina during her stay in GMCH, also expressed their satisfaction in the healing process and recovery.
- During her visits to GMCH, She is being accompanied by the garden medical representative, and her family members in the garden ambulance, arranged by the garden. Here in GMCH company representative is present to understand and get the proper report of the progress from the doctor.
Full response included below.