Group Head of Environment at FirstGroup
Reporting to the Group Director of Corporate Responsibility, you will play a vital role in driving senior level commitment and support for addressing long term environmental risks and opportunities, including climate change, within the Group’s business plans and strategies. This will require a proven ability to successfully influence, engage and gain buy-in for change at the highest levels of the organisation across a range of countries and cultures.
As an expert with Chartered Environmentalist status (or equivalent), the post holder will be expected to provide a robust framework of environmental policy, standards and internal controls for the Group, in order to drive local accountability for performance. With experience of CRC compliance and of ISO certified management systems, they will provide commercially astute advice and guidance on best practice to divisions and senior leadership teams, and act as lead practitioner to environmental specialists in the field, managing a small team centrally.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Membership of a relevant professional body (e.g. IEMA) with chartered status (or equivalent). NB. We will accept applications from candidates working at senior level who can give a commitment to gain Chartered status within a reasonable time-frame once in post.
- Educated to degree level in environmental studies or equivalent level qualification
- Proven experience in an environmental leadership role, devising and delivering against strategy, implementing management systems and driving cultural change
- Proven ability to successfully influence, engage and gain buy-in for change at the highest levels of a large and complex organisation across a range of countries and cultures
- Strong commercial awareness, and a keen understanding of the impact of long term environmental risks and opportunities on the Group’s business model
- Political astuteness and judgement; the ability to navigate within informal structures and across functional lines of responsibility
- Results driven; persuasive; self-starter; entrepreneurial; a finisher
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, along with a demonstrated track record of managing others and developing teams
- Strong working knowledge of environmental legislative requirements across UK, EU and North American jurisdictions, including CRC EES and ESOS.
Desirable Skills and Experience:
- Experience of a Group role within a similar corporate structure
- Experience of the transport sector, in particular the UK rail industry
- Experience within an international organisation
- Experience of ISO auditing (e.g.14001, 50001) and/or the use of standard sustainability schemes such as BREEAM, Ceequal and LEED
- Working knowledge of cr360 non-financial data system (or similar).
What will you get in return?
Once you have completed your probation period, FirstGroup will offer you the following fantastic benefits:
- FREE TRAVEL - Travel for free on our buses
- FIRST XCLUSIVES - Discounts and cashback on over 3,000 goods and services with First Xclusives
- TREAT YOUR FAMILY & FRIENDS - Amazing discounts on First Rail and First Bus travel
- SAVE AS YOU EARN – Use savings you build over three years to buy discounted shares in FirstGroup. It’s better than keeping it under the mattress!
- BUY AS YOU EARN – Buy shares in FirstGroup and we’ll give you free shares on top!
- BUILD A PENSION WITH FIRSTGROUP – You will automatically join our pension scheme and start saving for the future
- FREE LIFE ASSURANCE FOR PENSION SCHEME MEMBERS – We will provide a tax-free payment for the people who depend on you.
LOCATION: Flexible - applicant must be prepared to work in London, as required, but can be based at satellite offices within a reasonable travelling distance, combined with some home working.
FirstGroup plc is the leading transport operator in the UK and North America. With revenues of over £6 billion per annum, we employ 110,000 people and carry 2.4 billion passengers a year. The Group Head of Environment will have a unique opportunity to lead the formulation of the Group’s five year environmental strategy and objectives, and to work closely with the five divisions to challenge and support the development of their environmental plans, targets and KPIs.
Job title: Group Head of Environment
Location: Flexible, London
Contract: Full time
Closing date: Rolling application