Implementing the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights: Putting the Principles into practice
Workshop | 9 December | London
Around the world, more and more companies of all shapes and sizes - from small start-ups to leading multinationals - are acknowledging their responsibility to respect human rights in how they do business. However, understanding what that responsibility entails, and how to go from theory to practice can be a challenge.
Shift, the leading centre of expertise on the UN Guiding Principles (UNGPs), invites you to join an introductory workshop that will help you gain a good grasp of why your business should act, and how to take its first steps. The hands-on workshop will draw on our practical experience of working with leading businesses from a wide array of industries – as well as with governments and civil society organisations – to build a world where business gets done with respect for people’s rights.
The workshop will cover:
- What a human rights due diligence process looks like in practice, including how to identify and prioritize salient human rights issues;
- The scope of a company’s responsibility, the distinct ways it can be involved with impacts (through cause, contribution or just linkage), and the implications for action;
- How to build and apply leverage with business partners to drive change;
- Remedy and effective grievance mechanisms;
- The role of stakeholder engagement in a company’s efforts to respect human rights.
- How companies can strengthen their disclosure on human rights.
Throughout the one-day session, participants will engage in plenary discussions and group work with other businesses, to dig into the core concepts of the UNGPs and what they look like in practice. The session is open to participants that work in key human rights related functions (sustainability, legal, global affairs, or similar), as well as to senior leaders from other departments, such as procurement, HR, operations and sales, which may have critical roles to play in ensuring that the business respects human rights in practice.
For registration please follow the link below.