New guide for funders: "Advancing human rights accountability for economic actors"
"Advancing Human Rights Accountability for Economic Actors: An introductory field guide for funders", Jan 2015
[This guide provides]...an overview of a select set of strategies that seek to hold economic actors (primarily non-state actors) accountable to human rights obligations. We hope that this mapping:
- Introduces an important body of work, issues and approaches to donors and others with an interest in learning more
- Highlights some key opportunities for support and impact
- Begins a conversation in the field among donors and activists, spurring additional strategy development, field building and investment
...This guide is a reference for funders seeking a broad overview of efforts to hold economic actors – corporations, development finance institutions, and others – accountable to human rights obligations within the larger field of human rights and the global economy. It provides an introduction to some of the field’s complex range of institutions, actors, and approaches… [It] examines more traditional human rights strategies that focus on enforcement as a means of advancing accountability, rather than engagement...
State of the Field: Focus on Enforcement
1. Multi-Stakeholder Initiatives: Movement toward Binding Agreements
Binding Agreements and Worker-Driven Social Responsibility
2. International Standard-Setting: Renewed Momentum for Binding International Obligations
United Nations Guiding Principles; International Treaty on Business and Human Rights
3. Development Finance Safeguards: New Push for Strengthened Standards
4. Accountability Mechanisms: Need for Compliance and Remedy
OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises; IFI Complaints Mechanisms; ECA Complaint Mechanisms
5. Regulatory Regimes: Gaining Traction with Disclosure and Due Diligence...
6. Legal Strategies: Constructing Accountability and Access to Remedy
Corporate Liability; Access to Remedy; Extra-Territorial Obligations
Emerging Issues: Rise of Private Finance; Fiscal Policy and Financial Regulation; Increasing Influence of BRICS; Trade and Investment Agreements; Climate Finance
A Call for Donor Action: Regulation; Legal Strategies; Field Building
[refers to Vale, Coca-Cola, Dinant, Posco, Pacific Rim; lawsuits against Lahmeyer, Nestlé, Argor-Heraeus, Anvil Mining (now part of China Minmetals), HudBay Minerals]