Policy Internship at A4ID
Advocates for International Development (A4ID) is the charity that empowers lawyers to use their skills to fight world poverty. Through our pro bono broker, legal education services and thought leadership we are helping the legal sector to meet its global corporate social responsibility to bring about world development.
A4ID provides internships for individuals hoping to gain further experience in the legal, charitable and international development sectors. We offer a variety of positions to suit individuals' skills and experience in communications, fundraising, pro bono and development. This internship position will continue through to July 2016.
All interns assist A4ID’s staff team and are encouraged to attend meetings, contribute ideas and assist in the development of all areas of the charity and its programmes. This is a volunteer position. Interns are very welcome and are encouraged to attend all A4ID training, including the Law and Development Training Programme.
This role involves assisting the A4ID Policy department with research, writing and programme development. The position will work with the Head of Policy and Learning toward two key objectives:
- To raise the critical role of the rule of law and legal institutions in meeting the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and the need for a robust, budgeted frameworks for their inclusion into international development.
- Encourage and assist the international legal and development community in their implementation of the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (UNGPs). Our work seeks to highlight progress being made, highlight potential challenges and encourage continued progress through celebrating best practice.
The role will require:
- Conducting research into and compiling initial analysis of A4ID’s pro bono project work in order to assess major trends and to identify gaps.
- Conducting research on Business and Human Rights and the UNGPs with particular reference to law firm implementation and awareness within the legal community.
- Conducting research on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the various attempts to define and refine the role of the law in successful implementation.
- Carrying out other general research into the legal and development sectors;
- Drafting blog posts for inclusion on the website regarding case studies or other areas mentioned above.
- Assisting with liaising with A4ID partners, including attending meetings with development partners;
- Drafting correspondence to development and legal partners;
- Assisting the Head of Policy and Learning as required with other related tasks.
Applicants should possess the following skills/qualifications:
- Commitment to making a contribution to the work of A4ID;
- Strong interest in international development and the law;
- Excellent organisational skills; attention to detail and time management.
- Excellent English language skills, both spoken and written;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to assist communication with legal and development organisations.
- Competent IT skills including experience of Word, Outlook and Excel
- Some level of legal background or training (LLB, GDL, LPC, LLM etc)
- Some experience conducting online research
- Some experience drafting research papers, articles or blog posts
- Knowledge of international development;
- Experience of working in a professional legal and/or charitable organisation;
To apply, please complete an internship application form and confidential recruitment monitoring form and return both to [email protected]
Job title: Policy Internship
Contract: Part-time for 6-9 months
Closing date: 22 October 2015