Program & Communications Associate
Coalition for Human Rights in Development
- Location: Washington, DC
- Contract Type: Part-time
- Closing Date: 12/03/2017
The Coalition for Human Rights in Development is a Coalition of over 70 social movements, community groups and civil society organizations working to ensure that development finance institutions respect, protect, and fulfill human rights. We are looking for a Program and Communications Associate who will serve within the International Secretariat to 1) support Coalition coordination and advocacy efforts and 2) help us tell the stories of our members and their work fighting for sustainable rights-respecting development.
The Coalition works to support our members’ advocacy at the local, national, and international level. We help to bridge different constituencies and to bring new voices to this work, connecting the human rights, development, environment, and social justice arenas, and ensuring that advocacy is informed by and accountable to frontline grassroots communities. The Coalition provides a platform to leverage members’ expertise and resources to support common campaigns and advocacy objectives, amplifying the voices of communities and maximizing the individual strengths of member organizations.
Our present program areas and campaigns include strengthening implementation of the World Bank’s social and environmental standards, helping to shape the BRICS New Development Bank to be more transparent and rights-respecting, promoting human rights due diligence, supporting human rights defenders in development processes, and partnering with communities to advance community-led development.
The Program and Communications Associate position is a unique opportunity to gain exposure to human rights and international development issues and to develop advocacy, organizing, and non-profit management skills. The ideal candidate will have excellent oral and written communication skills, a strong strategic sense, and a keen attention to organization and detail. S/He should be a self-starter with a strong commitment to social justice and a good sense of humor.
· Provide logistical support for Secretariat activities and events, such as conference calls, gatherings, delegations, advocacy meetings, and public events.
· Respond to members’ information requests.
· Support research, writing, and advocacy efforts as needed.
· Communicate and coordinate with Coordinator and other Secretariat staff toward efficient functioning of the Secretariat.
· Recruit and manage interns and translators.
· Support Coordinator with fundraising efforts and contribute to monitoring and evaluation of the Coalition’s work.
· Document and promote the work of the Coalition and its members through reports, blogs and social media.
· Work with interns and other staff to maintain and update social media platforms, including website, Facebook, blog, Twitter, and annual newsletter, and work to expand their use and visibility.
· Assist with production of advocacy, organizational and training materials such as brochures, factsheets, presentations, letters, case studies, videos and policy papers.
· Support internal Coalition communications by maintaining online and telecommunications platforms and other information systems.
· Support press releases and contact with journalists.
· Commitment to human rights and social and environmental justice
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· English fluency
· Strong organizational and project management skills
· Prior communications and/or advocacy experience
· Keen attention to detail
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks
· Ability to make sound decisions, prioritize and complete tasks in a timely manner
· Ability to work independently as well as function as a member of a team
· Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications and social media platforms
· Proficiency in French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, or Arabic
· Experience with human rights or development issues
· Proficiency with WordPress, design or publishing software
The Coalition for Human Rights in Development is a project of Social and Environmental Entrepreneurs, an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Send a cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample to [email protected] with “Program and Communications Associate” as the subject. Application deadline: March 12, 2017.