Call for Abstracts: Research Workshop on Business and Human Rights
Workshop | 23-24 November | Geneva
This interdisciplinary workshop aims to bring together scholars from diverse backgrounds (e.g., international business, legal, management, organization, philosophy, and political science) to share their current research on Business and Human Rights (BHR).
The 1.5-day workshop will take place at the University of Geneva (Switzerland) on November 23 and 24, 2019, just before the 2019 United Nations Forum on Business and Human Rights.
The annual UN Forum on Business and Human Rights gathers BHR scholars from around the world, representing a diversity of academic approaches to BHR. Tapping into the presence of BHR scholars to present research and provide feedback on papers and draft journal manuscripts, the workshop will contribute to the ongoing evolution of a global academic interdisciplinary conversation on BHR and the development of BHR knowledge. It also offers a unique opportunity for scholars to engage across disciplines and receive responses to their research.
The primary objective of the workshop is to provide authors with as much constructive feedback as possible during the workshop. Each paper will be assigned a discussant who will present the paper to the group. The author is given an opportunity to add to the discussant’s presentation afterwards and then the paper will be discussed by all the workshop participants.
July 1, 2019: Deadline for abstract submission
July 15, 2019: Notification of acceptance
September 1, 2019: Deadline for the full paper submission
November 23 & 24, 2019: Workshop at University of Geneva, Switzerland
Those who are interested in presenting a paper should submit a 3000-word abstract (all inclusive, double space, Times New Roman 12) by July 1, 2019. Abstracts may present ongoing or recently completed BHR-related research, or (preferably advanced) draft papers intended to be submitted to journals for publication to benefit from comments from the audience. Abstracts may address all topics related to BHR and should include the following information:
- Overall topic within BHR
- National, regional, transnational or global perspective addressed (please specify)
- Academic discipline(s) informing the presentation/paper
- Author’s name, e-mail contact address, and affiliation
- Type: presentation of research (please indicate how advanced the research project is), or a draft paper (please indicate how advanced the paper will be at the time of the workshop)
- Research question and brief summary of key issue investigated, hypothesis (if any), method, and findings.
All proposals must be in English and be submitted to: [email protected]. The full paper must not exceed 12,000 words (all inclusive). Accepted authors will receive some contribution towards their travel expenses. For further information, please contact the workshop chairs:
- IABs Contact: Judith Schrempf-Stirling, [email protected]
- BHRights Initiative / Centre for Business, Society and Global Challenges, Oxford Brookes Business School: Samentha Goethals, [email protected]
- ESIL Interest Group on Business and Human Rights: Mara Tignino: [email protected]
This interdisciplinary workshop is jointly organised by the BHRights Initiative (Copenhagen Business School), IABS, and the European Society of International Law Interest Group on Business and Human Rights (ESIL IG on Business and Human Rights).
For more information please follow the link below.