Communications and Advocacy Intern (Paid) at CORE
Overview and summary
CORE is seeking a Communications and Advocacy Intern (paid) to provide support across our work for 21 hours per week for an initial period of three months, with a possibility of extension to six months. We are looking for someone who is enthusiastic, reliable, well-organised and creative to start as soon as possible.
The CORE Coalition is the UK civil society network on international corporate accountability. We campaign for changes to laws and policies to ensure that UK companies do not harm people and the environment overseas. CORE is a steering group member of the European Coalition for Corporate Justice, which promotes corporate responsibility within the EU. CORE’s work is led by its executive director and by a board of experts in the field of corporate accountability. For more information see our website www.corporate-responsibility.org.
- Drafting content for, and updating the website
- Managing social media presence
- Producing an email newsletter
- Organising member and public events (logistics; preparation of materials; taking notes etc.)
- Media monitoring
- Keeping member & partner organisations updated about our work and responding to their queries
- Supporting fundraising (researching funders; assisting with drafting proposals)
- Researching, drafting and editing blogs, articles, briefing papers and letters
- Supporting administrative tasks
- Knowledge of, or interest in business and human rights / corporate accountability
- Educated to Masters level in human rights / politics / law, or a related discipline, or equivalent post-graduation work experience of at least one year
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to translate complex, technical information into understandable material and messages
- Strong organisational skills
- Experience of using a website content management system an advantage
- Good attention to detail
- Fluent in English
- Experience of working in a small NGO focussed on human rights and social justice
- Friendly and dynamic work environment in The Foundry, the recently opened, purpose built centre for social justice and human rights organisations, in Vauxhall, south London.
- Professional supervision
- Paid the London Living Wage (currently set at £9.15 per hour)
How to apply
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
Please submit the following documents to Marilyn Croser: [email protected] with the subject line ‘Intern application’. Queries about the role should also be addressed to Marilyn.
- A CV of no more than two pages
- A one page cover letter addressing each point in the person specification and indicating when you would be available to start
- A 300 word blog post on a current business and human rights issue, aimed at the blog page on our website. Feel free to suggest a layout or illustrations/infographics to be included with the text. Please note, page limits are strict and extra pages will not be read.
Job title: Communications and Advocacy Intern
Salary: £9.15 p/h
Contract: 21 hours per week for initial three month period
Closing date: 19 March 2015, 5pm