Related stories and components
Author: Human Rights Watch
Burma produces the vast majority of high-quality rubies on the world market... It is also the top global producer of jade... Burma’s gem mines are ruled with an iron hand by military authorities and mining companies. Deplorable conditions at the mines...
- Related stories: Burma: Human Rights Watch says sales of gems "fund military repression" - calls for boycott
- Related in-depth areas: Alleged abuses Myanmar NGO Sourcing from conflict zones
- Related companies: Bulgari Cartier (part of Richemont) Leber Jeweler Myanma Gem Enterprise Richemont Tiffany Union of Myanmar Economic Holdings (UMEHL)
Author: Min Lwin, Irrawaddy
The 104-page report, titled “Laid Waste: Human Rights along the Kanbauk to Myaing Kalay gas pipeline,” accuses Burma’s military government of committing “systemic, shocking and ongoing” abuses along the 186-mile (300 km) pipeline...The Kanbauk-Myaing...
- Related stories: Burma: Report on widespread abuses along state-run Kanbauk to Myaing Kalay gas pipeline - bringing gas from Total-operated field
- Related in-depth areas: Extractive industry Myanmar
- Related companies: Total
Author: Grégoire Lecalot, France Info
Au lendemain de la condamnation de l’opposante birmane Aung San Suu Kyi, le pétrolier français Total, qui exploite le champ gazier de Yadana, en Birmanie, est au centre des critiques. De nombreuses voix s’élèvent à travers le monde pour demander la...
- Related stories: Total montré du doigt pour sa présence en Birmanie au lendemain de la condamnation d'Aung San Suu Kyi
- Related in-depth areas: Birmanie (Myanmar)
- Related companies: Chevron PTT PTT Exploration and Production (PTTEP, part of PTT) Total
Deux banques singapouriennes ont rejeté jeudi les accusations d'une ONG affirmant que deux établissements de la cité-Etat abritaient des fonds pour le compte de la junte birmane, fonds qui seraient alimentés par Total et Chevron. DBS Group Holdings et...
Author: Irrawaddy News
Danica Pension, the Danish state pension fund, says it will not invest in Daewoo “because of its breach of international guidelines in connection with its activities in Burma.” Daewoo leads a foreign consortium developing part of Burma’s largest...
Author: Relax News, in Independent [UK]
A major car manufacturer [Chrysler] has aired a hard-hitting advert in the United States calling for the release of Burmese pro-democracy figure Aung San Suu Kyi...Chrysler's president Oliver Francois [said] "For Chrysler, this is a chance to use our...
Author: Nicky Black, University of Waikato
From 2006 to 2009, Nicky Black studied corporate citizenship in the oil and gas sector in Myanmar…The resulting PhD thesis, ‘Blood Money. A Grounded Theory of Corporate Citizenship’...describes the drivers for more ‘responsible’ corporate engagement...
- Related in-depth areas: Academic Myanmar
- Related companies: Chevron China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) CNOOC (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) Daewoo International (part of Posco) Essar Group GAIL (Gas Authority of India Ltd.) KOGAS (Korea Gas Corporation) Myanmar Oil & Gas Enterprise (MOGE) Nippon Oil Nobel Oil (Russia) ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) Petronas Premier Oil PTT Exploration and Production (PTTEP, part of PTT) Sinopec Sputnik Petroleum Total Unocal (part of Chevron)
Author: Al Jazeera
Myanmar on Thursday opens one of its biggest ever sales of precious gems - an opportunity for the government to flaunt its massive ruby industry. However, what it wont show is the virtual slavery involved in the industry, with children as young as...
Author: US State Department, Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights & Labor
This document sets forth for U.S. persons [including companies]...engaged in new investment in Burma...reporting requirements relating to such investment...[including for] (1)...investment[s]...with Myanma Oil and Gas Enterprise (MOGE)...; and (2) [an...
- Related stories: Coca-Cola, GE looking to invest; US Campaign for Burma warns rules won't stop business with "unacceptable partners"
- Related in-depth areas: Myanmar
Author: Conflict Risk Network
Conflict Risk Network and the 21 undersigned institutional investors, asset owners and asset managers...are pleased to submit to the State Department...comment[s] on the “Reporting Requirements on Responsible Investment in Burma”...We welcome these...
- Related stories: Conflict Risk Network, US investors & asset managers support US reporting requirements on responsible investment in Burma Total lawsuit in Belgium (re Myanmar) Unocal lawsuit (re Myanmar) Show moreShow less
- Related in-depth areas: Conflict & peace Latest news on conflict & peace Latest news on freedom of association Myanmar UN Secretary-General's Special Representative on business & human rights
- Related companies: Blue Coat Chevron Costco Danske Bank Morgan Stanley Myanmar Oil & Gas Enterprise (MOGE) Tiffany Total Unocal (part of Chevron) Walmart