Construction & engineering
Construction & engineering
Información en Español - ver abajo. Contenu en Français : voir ci-dessous
- Video & article: Anti-govt. protestors target African migrant workers left behind by companies, suspect them to be mercenaries hired by Gaddafi
Al Jazeera, 28 Feb 2011
- KBR on Trial--At Last
Karen Houppert, The Investigative Fund, 27 Mar 2010
- The prizes of the second annual Undertaking Peace [Colombia]
Andean Development Corporation (CAF), 14 Oct 2009
- Halliburton, KBR sued for unsafe conditions at Iraq base
AFP, 5 Dec 2008
- Burma Campaign "Dirty List" of firms allegedly supporting the military regime in Burma, and company responses
- Sudan divestment campaigns gain momentum
Holly Hubbard Preston, International Herald Tribune, 23 May 2008
- Palestinian villagers try to sue Canadian builders
Rory McCarthy, Guardian (UK), 10 Jul 2008
- Volvo: Symbol of safety or human rights abuses? [and company response]
Adri Nieuwhof in The Electronic Intifada, 2 Jul 2007
- Conflict-Sensitive Business Practice: Engineering Contractors and their Clients
International Alert, Sep 2006
- Caterpillar - The Alternative Report
War on Want, Mar 2005
- International Companies and Post-Conflict Reconstruction - Cross-Sectoral Comparisons (chapter 4 on construction and engineering companies)
John Bray, Control Risks Group, Feb 2005
- Se entregó premio Emprender Paz [Colombia]
PNUD (Colombia), 16 octubre 2009
- La pression monte sur Veolia [Territoires palestiniens occupés]
Adri Nieuwhof, the International Solidarity Movement (France), 26 octobre 2008
- Caterpillar mis en cause pour l'utilisation de ses bulldozers dans les Territoires occupés
Véronique Smée, Novethic, 30 juin 2005
Related stories and components
[video & article] African migrant workers targeted in Libya in a backlash against “black African mercenaries” hired by the Muammar Gaddafi
Author: Al Jazeera
Dozens of workers from sub-Saharan Africa are feared killed, and hundreds are in hiding, as angry mobs of anti-government protesters hunt down "black African mercenaries," according to witnesses… Hundreds of black immigrants from poor African...
Author: Karen Houppert, The Investigative Fund
Five years after alerting authorities that she was gang-raped in Iraq, KBR/Halliburton employee Jamie Leigh Jones will finally get her day in court…KBR announced that it was dropping its Supreme Court appeal in the case...Jones…had been barred from...
Author: PNUD [Colombia]
...el viceministro de Desarrollo Empresarial...participó en la ceremonia de entrega de la segunda versión del premio "Emprender Paz. La apuesta empresarial"...El premio Emprender Paz exalta organizaciones que hacen un aporte importante a la comunidad...
Author: Andean Development Corporation (CAF)
In recent years and in view of the resurgence of the conflict in Colombia, the business sector's commitment to peace building has become more visible and has been assumed by companies as a matter of interest and responsibility. The purpose of the ...
A civilian employee of US oil services giant Halliburton and government contractor KBR has charged in a lawsuit the companies exposed thousands of workers to unhealthy, contaminated conditions at an Iraqi military base. The class-action lawsuit...was...
Author: Adri Nieuwhof, the International Solidarity Movement [France]
Dans Jérusalem-Est Occupée, le réseau du tramway israélien actuellement en cours de construction en violation du droit international sur des terrains saisis aux Palestiniens par Veolia...va fondamentalement modifier le paysage. Veolia et son partenaire...
Author: Rory McCarthy, Guardian [UK]
Lawyers for a Palestinian village have begun a rare legal case against two Canadian construction companies…The case…alleges that the two Canadian firms are breaching international law by building and selling homes in part of the settlement of Modi'in...
Author: Holly Hubbard Preston, International Herald Tribune
A study [conducted with Bloomberg by the Genocide Intervention Network and its Sudan Divestment Task Force project] provides statistical evidence of what many advocates of socially responsible investing have long asserted: Companies with links to...
- Related stories: Study finds companies targeted for divestment from Sudan underperformed their competitors
- Related in-depth areas: Construction & engineering
- Related companies: Alstom Indian Oil Corporation Lundin Petroleum ONGC (Oil & Natural Gas Corporation) PetroChina Petrofac Petronas Sinopec Total
Author: Adri Nieuwhof in The Electronic Intifada
According to a spokesperson from the Association of Forty, the unrecognized Bedouin Arab villages Atir and Um Hayran in the Naqab (Negev) were aggressively attacked on Monday...25 June 2007 by more than 1,500 Israeli soldiers...Hussein al Rafay'a,...
- Related stories: Israel: Volvo bulldozers photographed in destruction of Bedouin Arab villages - US church group urges divestment
- Related in-depth areas: Construction & engineering Israel & Palestine
- Related companies: Volvo Group
Author: Engineers against poverty, International Alert
Contractors operating in unstable states face a range of conflict risks. Oil, gas and mining projects, which frequently have significant contractor involvement, can inadvertently trigger or sustain violence, or become the focus of resentment...