- [PDF] Al-Haq welcomes decision by Dutch pension fund PGGM to withdraw investments from 5 Israeli banks over involvement in settlements in Palestine, Al-Haq, 8 Jan 2014
- Israel & Palestine: Dutch pension fund to withdraw investments from Israel's 5 largest banks over intl. law "problem" due to ties with settlements in West Bank; includes companies comments, Haaretz, 8 Jan 2013
- Human Rights and the Financial Sector
Danish Institute for Human Rights, 15 Apr 2010
- ING integrates sustainability into executive pay
Daniel Brooksbank, Responsible Investor, 8 Apr 2010
- Worldwide Investments in Cluster Munitions: a shared responsibility
Esther Vandenbroucke, IKV Pax Christi & Roos Boer, Netwerk Vlaanderen, Oct 2009
- Junta Gas Profits Stashed in Singapore Banks: ERI
Simon Roughneen, Irrawaddy (Thailand), 10 Sep 2009
- BlackRock Divests from the West Bank
Erik Hagen, Norwatch, 20 Aug 2009
- Undue diligence: How banks do business with corrupt regimes
Global Witness, Mar 2009
- “Financial Peacebuilding”- Impacts of the Nepalese conflict on the financial sector and its potential for peacebuilding
Ulrike Joras, swisspeace, Nov 2008
- Finance: Darfur Groups Ask U.S. Funds to Drop Chinese Oil Majors
Abid Aslam, Inter Press Service, 05 Sep 2007
- Conflict-sensitive project finance: Better lending practice in conflict-prone states
International Alert, Sep 2006
- International Companies and Post-Conflict Reconstruction - Cross-Sectoral Comparisons [see chapter 5]
John Bray, political risk specialist, Control Risks Group, Feb 2005
- Investing in Stability - Conflict Risk, Environmental Challenges and the Bottom-Line
United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI), Intl. Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD), with articles by John Bray (Control Risks Group), Jason Switzer (IISD), Mareike Hussels (UNEP FI), Daniel Wagner (Asian Development Bank), Michael Kelly (KPMG), Dec 2004
Related stories and components
Author: Barak Ravid, Haaretz
PGGM...has decided to withdraw all its investments from Israel’s five largest banks because they have branches in the West Bank and/or are involved in financing construction in the settlements. [PGGM informed] Bank Hapoalim, Bank Leumi, Bank Mizrahi...
- Related stories: Israel & Palestine: Dutch pension fund to withdraw investments from Israel's 5 largest banks over intl. law "problem" due to ties with settlements in West Bank; includes companies comments
- Related in-depth areas: Finance Israel & Palestine Latest news on conflict & peace
- Related companies: Bank Hapoalim Israel Discount Bank
[PDF] “Financial Peacebuilding”- Impacts of the Nepalese conflict on the financial sector and its potential for peacebuilding
Author: Ulrike Joras, Swisspeace
The financial sector is assumed to have a catalyst role for economic development…The importance of an adequate financial service provision has also been recognised for post-conflict peacebuilding and reconstruction…This working paper looks at options...
Author: Danish Institute for Human Rights
The Danish Institute for Human Rights is pleased to announce the release of ‘Values Added: The Challenge of Integrating Human Rights in the Financial Sector.’ The report outlines the challenges and potential for integrating human rights concepts to...
- Related stories: Danish Institute for Human Rights report on integrating human rights concepts to the work of financial institutions
- Related in-depth areas: Finance Other authors, including governments Tools & Guidance
Author: Daniel Brooksbank, Responsible Investor
Dutch banking and insurance giant ING says that “social, ethical and environmental objectives” will form a part of top management pay…And there will be a programme for senior managers to working on real-life cases at NGOs in developing countries… The...
Author: Gabriel Morini, Página 12 [Argentina]
...Un conflicto de competencia dilata el inicio de la primera investigación sobre...la cadena de complicidades que permitió sostener a la dictadura militar [entre 1976 y 1983]: el financiamiento por parte de la banca privada extranjera. La causa podría...
- Related stories: Argentina: Causa judicial apunta a los bancos privados que prestaron dinero a la dictadura (1976-1983) - bancos "sabían" o "debían haber sabido" que los préstamos "permitieron" abusos de derechos humanos
- Related in-depth areas: Finance Últimas noticias legales
- Related companies: Bank of America Citibank (part of Citigroup) Citigroup Lloyds Wells Fargo
Author: Esther Vandenbroucke, IKV Pax Christi & Roos Boer, Netwerk Vlaanderen
This publication...presents...financial institutions’ investment in companies that develop or produce cluster munitions, on financial institutions disinvesting from producers of cluster munitions and on legislative measures to prohibit investment in...
- Related stories: Cluster Munition Coalition calls on govts to stop banks investing in companies producing cluster bombs
- Related in-depth areas: Finance
- Related companies: Aberdeen Asset Management Aerostar International (part of Raven Industries) Alliant Techsystems Allianz Allstate AMP Group ANZ Bank ASN Bank (part of SNS Reaal) AXA BAE Systems Bank of America Bank of New York (part of BNY Mellon) Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ (part of Mitsubishi UFJ) Barclays BlackRock BNP Paribas BNY Mellon Calyon (part of Crédit Agricole) Capital Group Citigroup Commerzbank Crédit Agricole Credit Suisse Daewoo Group Daiwa Securities Danske Bank DBS Bank Deutsche Bank Dexia Eaton Vance Fidelity Investments Folksam Fortis General Electric Goldman Sachs Groupe Banque Populaire Hanwha Henderson Global Investors (part of AMP Group) HSBC ING Intesa Sanpaolo Invesco JPMorgan Chase KBC Kookmin Bank L-3 Communications Legal & General Legg Mason Lloyds TSB Lockheed Martin Mellon Financial (part of BNY Mellon) Merrill Lynch (part of Bank of America) Mitsubishi Group Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Mizuho Bank (part of Mizuho Financial Group) Morgan Stanley Natixis Nordea Bank Northrop Grumman Old Mutual Oppenheimer & Co. PGGM Poongsan Principal Financial Prudential plc Rabobank Raven Industries Raytheon Regions Financial Rheinmetall Royal Bank of Scotland Russell Investments Scotiabank Shinhan Bank SNS Reaal Société Générale Standard Life State Street Storebrand Sumitomo Group Sumitomo Mitsui Banking (part of Sumitomo Group) SunTrust Banks T. Rowe Price Thales TIAA-CREF Triodos Bank UBS US Bancorp Vanguard Wachovia (part of Wells Fargo) Wells Fargo West LB Woori Bank (part of Woori Financial Group) Woori Financial Group
Author: Arnaud Vaulerin, Libération [France]
Total est à nouveau rattrapé par ses liens troubles avec la junte birmane. Dans un rapport publié aujourd’hui, que Libération a pu lire en avant-première, l’ONG américano-thaïlandaise Earth Rights International (ERI) accuse le géant pétrolier français...
Author: Simon Roughneen, Irrawaddy [Thailand]
...[On] Thursday, Earthrights International (ERI) launched two reports alleging that...Total and Chevron are linked to “forced labor, killings, high-level corruption and authoritarianism” in Burma. The reports...examine how revenue from the Yadana gas...
- Related stories: Burma: Two EarthRights reports accuse Chevron & Total's Yadana pipeline of links to forced labour & killings, undermining sanctions; also cites banks OCBC, DBS
- Related in-depth areas: Chinese Investment Overseas Extractives, including oil and mines Finance Forced labour - an introduction Labour issues Southeast Asia
- Related companies: Chevron DBS Bank OCBC Bank PTT PTT Exploration and Production (PTTEP, part of PTT) Total
Author: Erik Hagen, Norwatch
The British bank BlackRock has divested from Lev Leviev settlement projects on West Bank. The divestment follows pressure by three Norwegian banks marketing BlackRock funds...the British Embassy in Tel Aviv...[refrained from] occupying a building...
Author: Global Witness
[F]ailures by banks and the governments that regulate them have caused untold damage to the economies of some of the poorest countries in the world. By doing business with dubious customers in corrupt, natural resource-rich states, banks are...
- Related stories: Global Witness urges banks not to do business with dictators & corrupt govts.
- Related in-depth areas: Finance NGO
- Related companies: Absa Agricultural Bank of China Banco BPI Banco Espírito Santo Bank of China Barclays BNP Paribas Calyon (part of Crédit Agricole) China Construction Bank China Development Bank China Exim Citibank (part of Citigroup) Commerzbank Crédit Agricole Crédit Lyonnais (part of Crédit Agricole) Credit Suisse Danske Bank Deutsche Bank Ecobank Fortis Groupe Banque Populaire HSBC ING JPMorgan Chase KBC Lloyds TSB Natixis Rabobank Riggs Bank (now part of PNC Financial Services) Royal Bank of Scotland Santander Société Générale Standard Bank Standard Chartered UBS West LB