Private military & security companies
- Ukraine: US Govt. & Academi deny media reports claiming military company involved in conflict, RIA Novosti, 15 May 2014
- Panel event on use of private military & security companies by UN (Geneva, Switzerland), Working Group on the Use of Mercenaries, 5 Mar 2014
- Global Policy Forum reports on UN use of private military & security companies allegedly involved in human rights abuses; responses by Askar Security, Delta Protection & G4S
Global Policy Forum, Feb 2014
OECD to examine G4S' alleged supply of surveillance kit to Israeli security services at checkpoints in Palestine, Independent, 7 Jan 2014
- [PDF] UK Govt. encourages security companies working in complex environments abroad to become members of Intl. Code of Conduct for Private Security Service Providers Association, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, 15 Oct 2013
[PDF] Academic paper on human rights and intl. humanitarian law implications of the use of private military & security companies in the “war on drugs” in Mexico and Colombia, European University Institute (Italy), 1 Oct 2013
- US Justice Dept. brings new charges of voluntary manslaughter against former Blackwater guards over 2007 Baghdad shooting, Washington Post, 17 Oct 2013
- Afghanistan: Presence of private security companies contributes to ongoing violence, says analyst, Mint Press News, 16 Oct 2013
- UN Working Group on the use of mercenaries & UN Monitoring Group on Somalia & Eritrea raise human rights concerns about Sterling Corporate Services' operations in Somalia, UN Working Group on the use of mercenaries, UN Monitoring Group on Somalia & Eritrea, Jul - Dec 2012
- UK Govt. adopts ASIS standard for private security service providers overseas
ASIS International, 20 Dec 2012
- Activists concerned that Shell's increased security spending in Delta region fuels human rights abuses
Private military & security firms allegedly benefit from security spending linked to human rights abuses
Platform, Guardian (UK), Aug 2012
- Full Platform report
- Control Risks response
- Erinys Intl. response
- G4S response
- Saladin declined to respond
- UN criticized for growing use of private security firms
Associated Press, 11 Jul 2012
- G4S response
- DynCorp response
Sexual violence by private military contractors remains a problem
David Isenberg in Huffington Post, 30 Jan 2012
- DynCorp responds to concerns raised
Switzerland: Govt. wants to tighten rules for private security companies & ban Swiss-based companies from direct participation in armed conflicts abroad
Frederic Merat, Associated Press, 12 Oct 2011
Outsourcing to private security contractors threatens rights, UN panel warns
UN News Centre, 14 Sep 2011
Mercenaries, mercenarism and human rights
Melik Özden, CETIM'Human Rights Programme and Permanent representative to the UN
US Supreme Court seeks Obama administration's advice on appeal in CACI/L-3 Titan lawsuit regarding Abu Ghraib prison abuses
Greg Stohr, Bloomberg, 4 Oct 2010
Mercenaries: United Nations experts final go at new international convention draft
United Nations, 9 Apr 2010
Blackwater fallout: Senate moves to rein in military contractors [USA]
GordonLubold, Christian Science Monitor (USA), 24 Feb 2010
Good News for Blackwater is Bad News for Industry
[commentary] David Isenberg, Huffington Post, 31 Dec 2009
East Africans working for US security firms in war zone
East African, 23 Nov 2009
Colombia: Regulating Private Military and Security Companies in a “Territorial State”
Irene Cabrera & Antoine Perret, Externado University of Colombia, 15 Nov 2009
International humanitarian law and PMSCs: frequently asked questions
International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), 15 Sep 2008
Prosecutors in Iraq Case See Pattern by Guards
James Risen, New York Times, 13 Sep 2009
U.S. court dismisses Iraqi contractor torture case [re. Abu Ghraib]
James Vicini, Reuters, 11 Sep 2009
Rules for the use of force - IPOA strives to create an industry-standard template [scroll to pg. 39]
Natalie Ng, Journal of International Peace Operations, May - Jun 2009
Iraq victims sue UK security firm [includes company response]
Mark Townsend, Observer (UK), 11 Jan 2009
Uprising in Angola targets Leviev diamond mining company
Adalah-NY, 16 Oct 2008
KBR's Rape Problem
Karen Houppert, Nation, 17 Apr 2008
Why private security companies are essential in post-conflict Iraq
Andy Bearpark, First Director General of British Association of Private Security Companies (BAPSC), 02 Mar 2008
Iraq contractors tap Latin America's needy
Patrick J. McDonnell, Los Angeles Times, 28 Jan 2008
Private security contractors look to Africa for recruits
Stephanie Hanes, Christian Science Monitor, 8 Jan 2008
Related stories and components
Author: UN News Centre
United Nations [Working Group on the use of mercenaries]...called for greater regulation of mercenaries and private military and security companies by both host and contributor countries to ensure respect for human rights and accountability for any...
Author: Melik Özden, CETIM's Human Rights Programme, Permanent representative to the U.N.
The aim of this Report is to analyse the problems posed by mercenarism. We also describe the measures already taken or proposed, in particular within the United Nations, to stamp out this phenomenon which has a detrimental impact on the enjoyment of...
- Related in-depth areas: Latest news on conflict & peace NGO Private military & security companies
- Related companies: Aegis Defence Services (part of Aegis Group) Aegis Group ArmorGroup (part of G4S) Blackwater DynCorp Executive Outcomes G4S L-3 Communications Lonrho MPRI (part of L-3 Communications) Sandline International
Author: Greg Stohr, Bloomberg
The U.S. Supreme Court signaled it may consider whether two military contractors can be sued for allegedly abusing inmates at Iraq’s Abu Ghraib prison in a case that could make companies more vulnerable to human rights suits. The justices today asked...
Author: Marco Sassòli, l’Université de Genève [Suisse]
En [Droit International Humanitaire], les employés des CMSP ne rentrent souvent pas dans la très restrictive définition des mercenaires. Ils ne sont en général pas non plus incorporés dans les forces armées d’une partie au conflit. Par conséquent, ils...
Author: United Nations
The United Nations Working Group on the use of mercenaries will hold its last meeting on the ongoing process towards the elaboration of a possible new international convention on the regulation of activities of private military and security companies....
Author: GordonLubold, Christian Science Monitor [USA]
After several incidents of misbehavior in Afghanistan involving the military contractor Blackwater and its employees, US lawmakers are moving to provide greater oversight of an industry that, while key to American military success, may also be...
Author: [commentary] David Isenberg, Huffington Post
Federal District Judge Ricardo Urbina has dismissed all charges against five guards from US security firm Blackwater over the killing of 17 Iraqis in Nisoor Square, Baghdad, in 2007. While the five Blackwater contractors and their parent firm (now...
- Related stories: Blackwater USA lawsuit (re 16 Sep 2007 Baghdad incident) US judge dismisses criminal case against Blackwater guards for 2007 Baghdad shootings that left 17 dead
- Related in-depth areas: Latest Legal News Private military & security companies
- Related companies: Blackwater Xe (formerly Blackwater)
Author: The East African
Thousands of Ugandans and Kenyans are working in Iraq and Afghanistan as contractors for US-based security companies. They are paid wages far greater than they could earn at home — but far lower than those that Americans and Europeans receive for...
- Related in-depth areas: Private military & security companies
Author: Irene Cabrera & Antoine Perret, Externado University of Colombia
[A]t the end of the cold war…many Private Military and Security Companies (PMSCs) were formed or deployed in Colombia...norms were created to try to control this industry and a special entity is in charge of reviewing the[ir] activities...but…practice...
Author: Torroja Mateu, H.(Dir) y Güell Peris, S.
La presencia de "empresas militares y de seguridad privada" en el contexto de conflictos armados, situaciones de tensiones internas u otros, es un fenómeno contemporáneo que tiende a aumentar y consolidarse...A estas empresas recurren no solo los...