Consultancy to Prepare Background Material for a Capacity Building Programme on Environmental and Social Impact Assessments and Human Rights in Kenya
Tyhe Danish Institute for Human Rights
- Location: Flexible
- Closing Date: 17/02/2019
The Danish Institute for Human Rights (the Institute) is seeking one or two consultants to undertake a background analysis and prepare a proposal for a training on environmental and social impact assessments and human rights.
OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY
The main outputs of the consultancy are as follows:
A workplan and methodology note.
An overview of the normative and policy framework governing the application of human rights in the conduct of EIAs, SIAs and ESIAs in the Kenyan context. This overview will at a minimum include:
- An overview of the applicable international regulatory and policy frameworks for ensuring respect for human rights in the conduct of EIAs, SIAs and ESIAs in Kenya.
- An overview of the national regulatory national regulatory and policy framework for ensuring respect for human rights in the conduct of EIAs, SIAs and ESIAs in Kenya
A comparative analysis of key convergences and gaps in the human rights requirements of Kenyan national regulatory and policy framework in relation to the human rights requirements of international policy and regulatory frameworks; and
A human rights analysis of applicable regulatory frameworks for EIAs/SEAs and ESIAs, highlighting key convergences, gaps and areas of concern from both a policy and an implementation perspective in the Kenyan context. Such analysis would include a review of recently conducted EIAs from at least the following angles:
- Consultation with stakeholders including women, indigenous peoples or other groups at risk
- Accessibility of the EIA process and content to interested stakeholders.
- Content of the EIA (including Environmental and Social Management Plan) in terms of human rights issues (i.e., which rights are covered, how, etc.).
An overview of the relevance and implications of the key issues and challenges highlighted for the achievement of relevant SDGs in Kenya and in relation to Kenya’s SDG commitments.
The consultancy will be desk-based and the consultant will work from their own usual or current location.
For more information bout the job and how to apply please follow Link to Job.