CSR Specialist at New Look
At New Look, our mission is to help people look good and feel great. When it comes to people who work for us, we want individuals to express themselves in an environment where change and new ideas are celebrated. This is because we truly believe every person who works here contributes to our future and where we go.
About the Role
The CSR Specialist is responsible for supporting the Senior CSR manager in the delivery of an overarching CSR strategy encompassing ethical trade, environment and animal welfare for the Company.
Supporting the team to ensure the internal alignment of commercial objectives with CSR objectives, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Coordinating New Look’s ethical trade regional teams and overseeing the supplier ethical trade team deliverables.
- Project management and delivery of New Look’s CSR strategy and reporting to external and internal audiences.
- Develop and oversee the delivery of New Look CSR strategy including conducting progress reviews with country teams, report progress on a weekly basis to Senior CSR Manager, annually to the ETI and when necessary to other internal & external audiences.
- Support CSR team of 7 across each of New Look’s sourcing countries (China, Bangladesh, India, Turkey and UK) and support the on-the-ground ethical teams, through understanding schedule, reading CAPs, developing and creating projects and providing strategic advice. Speaking to each of the teams on a weekly basis via telephone or face to face.
- Develop and manage effective communication (website and ethical trade newsletters for buyers and suppliers) of New Look’s CSR program in line with ‘CSR Strategy’
- Build strong relationship with suppliers to engage factories in projects and drive improved standards of ethical trading, environment and animal welfare within the supply base. Influence and build cultural relationships with all our suppliers.
- Oversee child remediation project and other factory engagement projects to mitigate ethical and environmental risk to the New Look brand.
- Managing the delivery of New look’s Accord requirements, ‘Factory Improvement Program’, developing factory management skills and systems (Right to Work training, supervisors training, workers trainings, age verification trainings) and implementing further ethical and environmental projects within the supply chain in line with the strategy.
- Represent New Look at the ETI and manage associated projects while managing relationship with campaign groups, NGO’s and other key external stakeholders. Link person with the ETI (Ethical Trading Initiative), which includes representing New Look interests at meetings and seminars, and reporting back on progress made (including producing the ETI Annual Report).
- Develop and oversee role out of the New Look ‘Environmental Efficiency Program’ across the supply base.
- Develop and manage various regional projects on ethical trade, environment and animal welfare based on risks, industry trends and key sourcing countries.
- Develop and update the animal welfare policy to keep in line with the legal regulations.
- Support the quality team on the chemicals policy and REACH compliance due diligence program.
- Manage non compliance program for all our suppliers and engage suppliers in improving ethical KPI score.
- Prepare regular risk updates and CSR trends for key sourcing countries.
- Conduct on site supplier assessments, audits, and co-ordinate the independent audit schedule.
- Manage and coordinate ‘awareness training’ workshops, internally and ensure increased awareness of BMD on ethical trade.
- Develop systems and process and oversee effective Sedex data management, internal cloud tracker, ethical database, new supplier sign off process and ethical support inbox customer queries.
Experience & Skills
- Supplier relationship management and people management
- Strong and motivational team player with a positive, enthusiastic approach
- Excellent communication skills(both verbal and written); ability to present strategic ideas to different audiences with credibility.
- Broad knowledge of social and ethical issues both local and global
- Multi-task oriented, flexible and creative problem solving approach to business
- Strong work ethics and a high level of personal and professional integrity
- Good appreciation of cultural diversity differences
- Project management skills, excellent organizational skills and highly driven to achieve results
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (or equivalent) in CSR, or related field
- IT skills (Excel essential advanced level)
- Good working knowledge of Sedex and databases
- Experience in project management and communications
- Sophisticated understanding of the global CR landscape, key global CR issues and best practices, along with knowledge of the roles of private, nonprofit and public sectors.
- Content expertise in at least two CR issue areas; e.g., environment, manufacturing and sourcing, supply chain issues, diversity, community involvement, etc.
Knowledge & Experience
- 3-4 years specialist experience in an ethical trading, supply chain, sustainability for an international garment retailer.
- A degree in social science subject, such as international development / cultural studies
- Ideally an MA/MSc in international development, ethical trade sustainability, CSR /Business Management.
- Deep understanding of ethical trade issues relevant to a high street retailer and a beyond monitoring approach to addressing these issues.
- Knowledge of EU Environmental legislation applicable to the Retail Industry
- Experience of communicating sustainability performance to a number of internal and external stakeholders.
- Preference given to an individual with knowledge of a second language (Any Indian language or Mandarin)
Job title: CSR Specialist
Closing date: 16 April 2014