Director of Campaigns at ShareAction
ShareAction is a unique and ground-breaking charity that promotes responsible investment and ethical practices amongst multi-billion pound pension funds and fund managers. Partnering with other NGOs and our broad supporter base we orchestrate powerful and imaginative campaigns that bring about real change.
Purpose of the post
As part of ShareAction’s Senior Management team you will work with the chief executive and two other directors to shape, lead and manage ShareAction’s ambitious programme of campaigns. A growing charity, we are bringing a diversity of voices into the financial system and changing it for the better. You will be responsible for ensuring the sound development, resilience and effectiveness of our campaign effort over the coming years.
- Provide strategic leadership and oversight for advocacy and campaigns projects across the organisation so that they create transformative change.
- Manage and develop a team of committed and passionate campaigners who are already shaping and delivering our ambitious set of campaigns.
- Research and scope new campaign proposals and work with the Chief Executive, Directors and fundraising team to secure resources to deliver them.
- Build strong internal and external relationships to deliver on our work.
- Work closely with other teams across the organisation to ensure campaigns draw on the strengths of the whole organisation.
- Represent ShareAction publically in a variety of settings.
Leadership, Management and Teamwork
You are a confident and assertive leader, comfortable taking ownership of the direction, management and planning of a number of high-profile projects with competing priorities. Driven by a passion for the issues ShareAction campaigns on, you relish the responsibility of leading work, and you have the proven ability to deftly navigate across organisations to deliver campaign wins.
A developer of leaders, you manage people with a supportive and inclusive style, putting the team first.
Committed to the principle of partnership working you develop strategy and work with external partners and supporters to build sustainability and resilience into your work. While focused on outcomes you have the flexibility to adjust and reach for more stretching goals when opportunities present themselves.
Campaigns, Knowledge and Communications
You have delivered measurable success in campaigns or other comparable projects, and have learning from both success and failure that you want to share with those you work with.
You are a proven strategic thinker who readily grasps complex and difficult subjects and can rapidly develop expertise in diverse subject areas. Lively communication to a variety of audiences comes naturally to you, and you are able to weave multiple strands into campaign moments which connect with and help to grow a broad supporter base.
You bring an understanding of the UK financial system and the potential of shareholder activism to secure positive change.
- Experience of working in or with other civil society groups such as NGOs or unions.
- Experience of project management and controlling a budget.
- Experience of meeting with and lobbying major decision makers such as investors, publicly listed companies, NGOs, and representative organisations.
- Experience of successful fundraising.
- An understanding of basic investment principles and decision making.
- An understanding of responsible investment, CSR, shareholder activism.
- Knowledge and understanding of company financial statements and reporting.
Skills and abilities
- Ability to inspire, manage, and motivate others.
- Ability to take initiative and move a project forward.
- Ability to quickly get to grips with new issues and present complex arguments in a credible and engaging way.
- Excellent oral presentation and written communication skills.
- Excellent networking and interpersonal skills.
- Managing internal and external relationships constructively, diplomatically, and with discretion.
- Strategic planning.
- Familiarity with digital campaign strategies and how they integrate with campaigns effectively.
Attitudes and Interest
- Passion for ShareAction’s work.
- Commitment to inclusive campaigning.
- Creative but disciplined approach.
- Attention to detail and commitment to sound use of data and evidence.
- Intellectual curiosity and a willingness to learn new skills.
- Can travel on an occasional basis.
- Can meet deadlines under pressure.
Job title: Director of Campaigns
Salary: circa £45,000 per annum
Contract: Full time, permanent
Closing date: 28 February 2015