Environmental & Social Safeguard Officer at Inter-American Development Bank Group
An operational and financial consolidation of the Inter-American Development Bank Group’s (“IDBG”) private sector operations is currently underway in order to strengthen the IDBG’s support for the economic and social development of Latin America and the Caribbean. The consolidated functions are housed within the Inter-American Investment Corporation (“IIC”), which will be responsible for delivering on IDBG’s mandate to foment economic and social development through the private sector.
The Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) function is responsible for developing and overseeing environmental, social and corporate governance policies and procedures, as well as reviewing and appraising proposed IIC investments for compliance with the IIC’s environmental, social and governance requirements. It works with investment officers and clients to define steps necessary to address compliance gaps. It identifies opportunities to add value proactively, beyond compliance and risk mitigation, and contribute to long-term developmental impact and sustainability. ESG formulates recommendations and requirements for client action and incorporates these into applicable internal and client-related documentation to facilitate financing. It also monitors the environmental, social and governance performance of operations in the IIC portfolio.
The IIC is searching for an excellent Environmental, Social and Governance Safeguards Officer who report to the Chief of ESG within the Risk Division and support the design and implementation of IIC’s operations, ensuring that the financed projects and other activities are social and environmentally sustainable and comply with the IIC’s social and environmental safeguards policies and internationally recognized best practices. The ESG Officers work closely and coordinates with other organizational units of the IIC and IDB, as needed, to accomplish these functions.
Main Functions and Responsibilities
- Provide technical expertise on key issues related to environmental and social impact assessment and on sustainability risks in the design, preparation, implementation and supervision of IIC’s operations taking into consideration best industry practices and standards;
- Manage and conduct environmental and social safeguard due diligence of new investment proposals for IIC’s consideration;
- Identify all key potential social and environmental impacts and risks of a project and ensure that their magnitude and significance are well understood;
- Design and incorporate into the safeguard plans and project effective and feasible measures to avoid, minimize, and mitigate the adverse environmental and social impacts, and draft relevant project processing documentation. Ensure that the client understands the applicable safeguard policies, guidelines and project-specific requirements, and has the necessary commitment and capacity to manage social and environmental impacts and/or risks adequately and supported by mechanisms that facilitate implementation;
- Supervise projects to ensure implementation of mitigation measures.
- Work with clients and other relevant units of the IIC to mobilize technical and financial support to enhance the environmental and social sustainability of their operations, adding value to operations.
- Conduct consultations with stakeholders in accordance with relevant policies and guidelines;
- Provide internal and external clients with capacity building on ESG related topics by designing and piloting information sharing schemes;
- Report on and disseminate good practices and generated knowledge.
Candidates should possess a clear understanding of the operational work of the IIC or similar multilateral institutions. Knowledge and experience in Latin America and the Caribbean is considered essential. Self-starter with enthusiasm for complex project challenges, integrated business solutions and familiarity with standards referenced in IIC’s Environmental and Social Sustainability Policy.
Critical Professional Capacities
- Clear understanding of the role and mandate of multilateral institutions and how these institutions support and complement host government efforts to engage with the private marketplace to develop their national private sectors. Previous transaction experience with multilateral development banks and/or development finance institutions is desirable;
- Proven track record in analyzing environmental and social aspects, identifying critical issues, and building best practices into the core design, execution and supervision of complex and diverse projects with a wide range of clients of different sizes and industries;
- Technical knowledge of the development of ESG safeguards as well as deep specialization in one or two critical business sectors highlighted above;
- Ability to synthesize complex information clearly for a variety of internal and external stakeholder audiences including governments, private sector, environmental and social audiences, NGOs and civil society
- Outstanding interpersonal skills to effectively work with project teams and clients
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to travel frequently to Latin America and Caribbean countries
- Unquestionable integrity and highest ethical standards.
- Education An advanced degree (at least Masters or equivalent) in engineering, environmental management, environmental sciences or relevant field.
- Experience At least 3 years of relevant experience in working with private sector firms across industry sectors (including infrastructure, agribusiness, and/or manufacturing) to identify environmental/social risk and issues and develop mitigation measures to ensure compliance with good international industry practice.
- Language Skills Oral and written professional proficiency in English and Spanish required; knowledge of Portuguese and/or French desirable.
- Collaboration, Teamwork and Inclusion – Works cooperatively with others independent of background or organizational role and takes a team based and inclusive approach to projects and decision making.
- Innovation and Creativity – Develops imaginative ideas and solutions through creativity, experimentation and critical thinking.
- Communication and Influence – Communicates effectively and leverages relationships and strategies to influence others.
- Client Focus – Understands client needs and provides services that meet their expectations for quality and performance; meets the IIC’s expectations for ethical behavior.
- Quality and Efficiency in All We Do – Creates and/or implements standards of excellence for products and services ensuring consistency, accuracy, reliability and efficiency. Continuously seeks new ways to make processes run smoother and faster to enhance outcomes.
The IIC offers a competitive benefits & compensation package, including relocation expenses (if applicable).
The IIC is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment, embracing diversity on the basis of gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. Women, Afro-descendants and persons of Indigenous origins are encouraged to apply.
Job title: Environmental & Social Safeguard Officer
Location: Washington, DC
Closing date: 11 February 2016