Field Assistant at UNI Global Union and IndustriALL Global Union
IndustriALL Global Union and UNI Global Union are the two Global Unions that have negotiated and signed the “Accord on Building and Fire Safety in Bangladesh”, a groundbreaking agreement between global unions, brands and retailers, which aims to ensure that garments produced in Bangladesh are produced in safe factories.
The Accord on fire and building safety is based on independent inspections, worker‐led health and safety committees and union access to factories. Signatory brands commit to underwrite improvements in dangerous factories and properly confront fire safety and structural problems. One unique feature of the Accord is its legally binding nature.
To strengthen the accountability work associated with the Accord, both Global Unions are jointly looking for a Field Assistant. The position is fixed for a maximum of 3 years.
The responsibilities of Field Assistant include:
• Assisting Accord case investigations, in response to complaints of RMG federations and preparing investigative reports.
• Assisting liaising for IndustriALL and UNI to local actors such as NGOs, unions, government agencies and factory managers regarding Accord‐related issues.
• Increase capacity of RMG federations to strategically engage in Accord enforcement.
• Organise logistics to investigating Accord related complaints by RMG federations.
• Ensure translation between Bangla and English .
• Report to and support the Field Coordinator
The person must be based in Bangladesh, where the work is carried out.
In order to be qualified for this work, candidates ideally must have:
• Fluency in Bangla and excellent command of English
• Residing in Bangladesh
• Demonstrated commitment to defending internationally recognized labor rights
• Preferably a BS or BA degree, or equivalent experience
• Capacity to explain complex issues simply and clearly in a concise, direct and understandable way for diverse audiences.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with particular reference to working with a wide audience
• High degree of integrity
Remuneration is commensurate with the responsibility of the job, personal experience and local cost of living.
Please send your application with full CV to [email protected] before 09.00 (Swiss local time) on 22 July 2015.
Job title: Field Assistant
Closing date: 22 July 2015