Field Coordinator at UNI Global Union and IndustriALL Global Union
IndustriALL Global Union and UNI Global Union are the two Global Unions that have negotiated and signed the “Accord on Building and Fire Safety in Bangladesh”, a groundbreaking agreement between global unions, brands and retailers, which aims to ensure that garments produced in Bangladesh are produced in safe factories.
The Accord on fire and building safety is based on independent inspections, worker‐led health and safety committees and union access to factories. Signatory brands commit to underwrite improvements in dangerous factories and properly confront fire safety and structural problems. One unique feature of the Accord is its legally binding nature.
To strengthen the accountability work associated with the Accord, both Global Unions are jointly looking for a Field Coordinator.
The responsibilities of Field Coordinator include:
• Coordinating Accord case investigations, in response to complaints of RMG federations and preparing investigative reports.
• Assist in coordinating efforts to compel brands to remediate Accord violations where identified.
• Serving as liaison for IndustriALL and UNI to local actors such as NGOs, unions, government agencies and factory managers regarding Accord‐related issues.
• Increase capacity of RMG federations to strategically engage in Accord enforcement.
• Monitor progress and conduct research on Accord‐related issues and preparing research reports.
• Ensure regular reporting to UNI Global Head Quarter.
• Coordinate and supervise the work of the Field Assistant.
The person will be (mainly) based in Bangladesh, where the work is carried out.
In order to be qualified for this work, candidates ideally must have:
• Fluency in English and, preferably, in Bangla or Urdu.
• Ability and willingness to reside in Bangladesh.
• Demonstrated commitment to defending internationally recognised labour rights.
• A BS or BA degree, or foreign equivalent.
• At least three years’ professional experience working on labour rights issues, including experience in China (PRC), Southeast Asia, South Asia or Latin America and the Caribbean.
• Capacity to explain complex issues simply and clearly in a concise, direct and understandable way for diverse audiences.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with particular reference to working with a wide audience.
• Demonstrated capacity to adapt to rapidly changing environments.
• Self‐organisation skills, and ability to follow‐up on time and to multitask.
• Sensitivity to working in a multicultural and diverse environment and commitment to promoting respect for equality and diversity.
• Ability to work well under pressure, maintaining both a highly organised level of accuracy and output; to plan work to ensure deadlines are met; and to deal with multiple, sometime conflicting, priorities.
Remuneration are commensurate with job responsibility, experience and local cost of living. Please send your application with full CV to [email protected] before 09.00 (Swiss local time) on 22 July 2015.
Job title: Field Coordinator
Closing date: 22 July 2015